Re: [mythsoc] Jackson version

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 15, 2002
      At 07:50 AM 11/15/2002 , Steve Schaper wrote:

      >I love the new 'directors cut' release. The additional Shire scenes really
      >help.

      In the original DVD release, there was a preview of this release, in which
      Jackson is adamant that this release is not the 'director's cut'. The
      theatrical release was the way he, the director, wanted it. I gather that
      his concern was to keep it down to 3 hours. ("If you sit there, my friend,
      from beginning to end / Then your bladder better be strong" - Allan
      Sherman) What he chose to cut out to reach that length is the problem.

      (On the topics of director's cuts in general, see here:
      <http://www.ucomics.com/duplex/2002/11/15/>)

      >The commentary suggests that they felt that this distracted from the film,
      >that they needed to get into the action right away, that they needed the
      >prolog so that people watching it would understand that the Ring was
      >dangerous and evil.

      Now this is what I really don't understand. The book's slow opening hasn't
      prevented it from being immensely popular, and this despite the fact that
      books move slower by nature. (You can't read _Fellowship_ in 3 hours,
      surely.) And don't say that movies have to appeal to a wider audience than
      books: they do so anyway, you measure them on different scales. (If the
      book were as action-packed as the film, it still wouldn't have been read by
      as many people as have seen the film.) In fact, I've seen complaints - by
      those used to the standard action films of today - that this film moves too
      slowly! So they've satisfied neither the action-fiends nor many of us who
      love the book.

      >But the Concerning Hobbits scene does that rather better, combined with the
      >Green Dragon scene and the expanded bits in the rest of the beginning.
      >
      >Suspense. Jackson must not understand suspense. :-(

      Apparently not. Which is both sad and surprising, as his film _Heavenly
      Creatures_ was very suspenseful and well-modulated. Suspense is created by
      slowly building things up: in this film, the heroes are rushing like mad
      before they ever leave the Shire.

      >They could have cut the too-early scenes of Isengard and left new people
      >wondering about Isengard, wondering if the Rohirrim had gone over or not,
      >until the right moments in the story. :-(
      >And gotten rid of the non-canonical cloning of Uruk-hai. That would have
      >saved them the time, and produced greater suspense and feeling. IMHO.

      And in my opinion also.

      - David Bratman
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 15, 2002
        From: "Eleanor Farrell" <emfarrell@...>

        > David Bratman wrote:
        >
        > >I'm glad you got that straight. One might feel tempted to play with the
        > >bookends as with dolls. "So, Isildur, seen any good movies lately?"
        "No,
        > >I can't get in the door with my arm stuck out like this."
        >
        > Too bad they are both guys. Otherwise they would make great Action
        Chicks......

        Considering all the times you've dressed Arden up as a woman in the Not
        Ready productions, I'm surprised you'd let a little thing like that stop
        you.

        Berni -- and doesn't David's statement prove that boys play with dolls, too?
        They just don't call them that.
      • stephen@stephen.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 15, 2002
          I just watched the 'Extended' version. It was widescreen. It was also a
          MUCH better film. It was even somewhat more true (less un-true) to the
          'spirit' of the books. It was easily long enough and full enough to have
          been two theatrical releases.

          - Stephen
        • SusanPal@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 15, 2002
            In a message dated 11/15/2002 9:46:48 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            stephen@... writes:

            > It was even somewhat more true (less un-true) to the
            > 'spirit' of the books.

            I agree -- although I had real trouble with the added scenes in which
            Aragorn's reluctant about his kingship (which I didn't think he ever was in
            the book, if only because Elrond had made it the condition of his marrying
            Arwen!).

            Susan