Re: [mythsoc] Help on LOTR type inscription

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
      At 09:36 AM 11/15/2002 , JP Massar wrote:

      > Maybe something from the Lay of Luthien?
      >
      >One very quick scan can up with:
      >
      >"and Fate them forged a binding chain
      >of living love and mortal pain."

      And you're suggesting this for a wedding ring?

      - David Bratman
    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
        In a message dated 11/15/2002 1:03:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        dbratman@... writes:

        > of living love and mortal pain."
        >
        > And you're suggesting this for a wedding ring?

        Yeah, really. Sounds Way too realistic. Lust and bills, adoration and sinus
        trouble...

        sorry.

        What IS all this about Action Chicks anyway?

        Lizzie

      • JP Massar
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
          At 10:01 AM 11/15/02 -0800, you wrote:
          >At 09:36 AM 11/15/2002 , JP Massar wrote:
          >
          > > Maybe something from the Lay of Luthien?
          > >
          > >One very quick scan can up with:
          > >
          > >"and Fate them forged a binding chain
          > >of living love and mortal pain."
          >
          >And you're suggesting this for a wedding ring?

          Depending on one's views and take on the verse,
          some might find it appropriate.

          I was mostly suggesting the poem as a potential source
          of quotes for an inscription; not that particular one.
        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
            At 09:36 AM 11/15/2002 , JP Massar wrote:

            >> > Maybe something from the Lay of Luthien?
            >> >
            >> >One very quick scan can up with:
            >> >
            >> >"and Fate them forged a binding chain
            >> >of living love and mortal pain."
            >>
            >>And you're suggesting this for a wedding ring?
            >
            >Depending on one's views and take on the verse,
            >some might find it appropriate.

            "A binding chain of ... mortal pain"? Orcs, perhaps.

            - David Bratman
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
              In a message dated 11/15/2002 12:03:30 PM Central Standard Time,
              dbratman@... writes:

              > >"and Fate them forged a binding chain
              > >of living love and mortal pain."
              >
              > And you're suggesting this for a wedding ring?

              Turns out I misread and it is just a "girlfriend" ring. But who knows what
              may develop, perhaps the ring should say "Even the very wise cannot see all
              ends."

              Diamond Proudbrook

            • SusanPal@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
                In a message dated 11/15/2002 2:47:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                Stolzi@... writes:

                > Turns out I misread and it is just a "girlfriend" ring. But who knows what
                > may develop, perhaps the ring should say "Even the very wise cannot see all
                >
                > ends."

                :How about, "hope without guarantees"? ;-)

                Susan

              • Berni Phillips
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
                  From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>

                  > At 09:36 AM 11/15/2002 , JP Massar wrote:
                  >
                  > > Maybe something from the Lay of Luthien?
                  > >
                  > >"and Fate them forged a binding chain
                  > >of living love and mortal pain."
                  >
                  > And you're suggesting this for a wedding ring?

                  Yes, ugh. I threw the catalog out so I can't remember the name of it, but
                  they do sell rings with "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine" written
                  in either Latin or Hebrew, whichever you prefer, in silver or gold. If I'd
                  seen that before we got married, I'd be sorely tempted to get those as
                  wedding rings.

                  Berni
                • Berni Phillips
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
                    From: <SusanPal@...>

                    > Stolzi@... writes:
                    >

                    > > Turns out I misread and it is just a "girlfriend" ring. But who knows
                    what
                    > > may develop, perhaps the ring should say "Even the very wise cannot see
                    all
                    > > ends."
                    > >

                    > :How about, "hope without guarantees"? ;-)

                    How about "not all that glitters is gold"? Or diamonds, in some cases.
                    Heh-heh.

                    Berni
                  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
                      In a message dated 11/15/2002 8:31:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      bernip@... writes:

                      > Yes, ugh. I threw the catalog out so I can't remember the name of it, but
                      > they do sell rings with "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine" written
                      > in either Latin or Hebrew, whichever you prefer, in silver or gold. If I'd
                      > seen that before we got married, I'd be sorely tempted to get those as
                      > wedding rings.

                      I've seen them too. Wonder if you could find them via google. Get them as
                      anniversary rings...? Between them and the AVO ones I've seen, there's a
                      lot to covet.

                      Lizzie, making jewelry tonight as it happens...

                    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
                        The Source for Everything Jewish has them in Hebrew.
                        http://www.jewishsource.com I searched under Wedding Ring and found
                        several versions.

                        I'm drooling over the celtic knot ones at Pyramid Collection. That is
                        what we wanted when we got married, but "Romantic" wasn't in that year.
                        *sigh*

                        Mythically yours,
                        Lisa

                      • Stolzi@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 16, 2002
                          I received a "hope this helps" on another list with the following - the
                          website may be of interest to some:

                          "Try the Grey Company website at <A HREF="http://www.grey-company.org/">http://www.grey-company.org/</A>

                          "The entire site is related to the elvish language as originally concieved by
                          Tolkein. It has a really nice elvish font style too! Additionally, for free
                          download, there are both an elvish phrase dictionary and a regular dictionary
                          too.

                          "Here's some examples from the Phrase book

                          A star shall shine on the hour of our meeting
                          Elen sila lumenn omentilmo

                          My heart sings to see thee
                          Cormamin lindua ele lle

                          Don't talk about what you have done (or what you are going to do). (Do
                          it and let it speak for itself.)
                          Uuma quena en'mani lle ume (ri'mani lle umaya). (Uma ta ar'lava ta quena
                          ten'irste'.)

                          Fair winds
                          Vanya sulie

                          May the leaves of your life tree never turn brown
                          Aa' lasser en lle coia orn n' omenta gurtha

                          May the wind fill your sails
                          Aa' i'sul nora lanne'lle

                          May thy paths be green and the breeze on thy back
                          Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle

                          The bones of our foes will gleam under the sun
                          I'narr en gothrim glinuva nuin I'anor "

                          And I (Diamond Proudbrook again) add:

                          for SOME girlfriends, maybe

                          "The bones of our foes will gleam under the sun"

                          would be just the ticket? :)

                          DP

                        • Stolzi@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 16, 2002
                            Anyway, the gentleman in question went for another Irish inscription, not
                            LOTR-related after all. It had to do with "intertwining" - perhaps in
                            reference to the characteristic tracings of Celtic art, I don't know.

                            quote

                            ANAM CHÁIRDE IDIRCEANGAILTE GO DEO

                            soul mates intertwined for eternity

                            /quote

                            Diamond Proudbrook
                          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 18, 2002
                              I'd love the Celtic knotwork rings, so I'll have to check out Pyramid
                              Collections; as for the inscription, it might be fun to find some droll
                              hobbitish proverb. ---djb

                              http://mail2web.com/ .