Re: [mythsoc] Action Chicks

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 15, 2002
      At 08:27 AM 11/15/2002 , Ellie Farrell wrote:
      >David Bratman wrote:
      >
      >>I'm glad you got that straight. One might feel tempted to play with the
      >>bookends as with dolls. "So, Isildur, seen any good movies lately?" "No,
      >>I can't get in the door with my arm stuck out like this."
      >
      >Too bad they are both guys. Otherwise they would make great Action
      Chicks......

      Hey, Arden made a great Action Chick. A little miniaturized sewing, and
      I'm sure something could be done for Isildur and Anarion.

      - David Bratman
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 15, 2002
        At 07:50 AM 11/15/2002 , Steve Schaper wrote:

        >I love the new 'directors cut' release. The additional Shire scenes really
        >help.

        In the original DVD release, there was a preview of this release, in which
        Jackson is adamant that this release is not the 'director's cut'. The
        theatrical release was the way he, the director, wanted it. I gather that
        his concern was to keep it down to 3 hours. ("If you sit there, my friend,
        from beginning to end / Then your bladder better be strong" - Allan
        Sherman) What he chose to cut out to reach that length is the problem.

        (On the topics of director's cuts in general, see here:
        <http://www.ucomics.com/duplex/2002/11/15/>)

        >The commentary suggests that they felt that this distracted from the film,
        >that they needed to get into the action right away, that they needed the
        >prolog so that people watching it would understand that the Ring was
        >dangerous and evil.

        Now this is what I really don't understand. The book's slow opening hasn't
        prevented it from being immensely popular, and this despite the fact that
        books move slower by nature. (You can't read _Fellowship_ in 3 hours,
        surely.) And don't say that movies have to appeal to a wider audience than
        books: they do so anyway, you measure them on different scales. (If the
        book were as action-packed as the film, it still wouldn't have been read by
        as many people as have seen the film.) In fact, I've seen complaints - by
        those used to the standard action films of today - that this film moves too
        slowly! So they've satisfied neither the action-fiends nor many of us who
        love the book.

        >But the Concerning Hobbits scene does that rather better, combined with the
        >Green Dragon scene and the expanded bits in the rest of the beginning.
        >
        >Suspense. Jackson must not understand suspense. :-(

        Apparently not. Which is both sad and surprising, as his film _Heavenly
        Creatures_ was very suspenseful and well-modulated. Suspense is created by
        slowly building things up: in this film, the heroes are rushing like mad
        before they ever leave the Shire.

        >They could have cut the too-early scenes of Isengard and left new people
        >wondering about Isengard, wondering if the Rohirrim had gone over or not,
        >until the right moments in the story. :-(
        >And gotten rid of the non-canonical cloning of Uruk-hai. That would have
        >saved them the time, and produced greater suspense and feeling. IMHO.

        And in my opinion also.

        - David Bratman
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 15, 2002
          From: "Eleanor Farrell" <emfarrell@...>

          > David Bratman wrote:
          >
          > >I'm glad you got that straight. One might feel tempted to play with the
          > >bookends as with dolls. "So, Isildur, seen any good movies lately?"
          "No,
          > >I can't get in the door with my arm stuck out like this."
          >
          > Too bad they are both guys. Otherwise they would make great Action
          Chicks......

          Considering all the times you've dressed Arden up as a woman in the Not
          Ready productions, I'm surprised you'd let a little thing like that stop
          you.

          Berni -- and doesn't David's statement prove that boys play with dolls, too?
          They just don't call them that.
        • stephen@stephen.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 15, 2002
            I just watched the 'Extended' version. It was widescreen. It was also a
            MUCH better film. It was even somewhat more true (less un-true) to the
            'spirit' of the books. It was easily long enough and full enough to have
            been two theatrical releases.

            - Stephen
          • SusanPal@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 15, 2002
              In a message dated 11/15/2002 9:46:48 PM Pacific Standard Time,
              stephen@... writes:

              > It was even somewhat more true (less un-true) to the
              > 'spirit' of the books.

              I agree -- although I had real trouble with the added scenes in which
              Aragorn's reluctant about his kingship (which I didn't think he ever was in
              the book, if only because Elrond had made it the condition of his marrying
              Arwen!).

              Susan