Help on LOTR type inscription

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
      from another list:

      > I'm not up to speed on LOTR. Can anyone think of a nice sentiment for a ring
      > with LOTR feel?

      Anybody help this fellow? Obviously not THE ring inscription... it's for a
      wedding band.

      Diamond Proudbrook.

    • Croft, Janet B
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
        Well, there's always the "A star shines on the hour of our meeting" Elvish
        greeting-- cast it in the past tense, and it's a nice romantic sentiment
        suitable for a ring.

        Janet

        <http://www.mythsoc.org>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
          Do they even use the word "love" in LOTR, much? Or consider the Northern
          tales it echoes. Tell us more about your friend, Diamond. Does he want
          mushy or evocative or what? English or Elvish? How big is this ring? How
          cooperative is his engraver?

          I'm a fan of Amor Vincit Omnia, myself. So simple, yet so all-inclusive.
          Even funny (Vincit can sound an awful lot likes Winks At). But I love custom
          jewelry. It's the dragon in me...

          Lizzie

        • JP Massar
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
            At 11:52 AM 11/15/02 -0500, Stolzi@... wrote:
            >from another list:
            >
            > > I'm not up to speed on LOTR. Can anyone think of a nice sentiment for a
            > ring
            > > with LOTR feel?
            > >

            >Anybody help this fellow? Obviously not THE ring inscription... it's for a
            >wedding band.

            Maybe something from the Lay of Luthien?

            One very quick scan can up with:

            "and Fate them forged a binding chain
            of living love and mortal pain."
          • David S. Bratman
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
              At 09:36 AM 11/15/2002 , JP Massar wrote:

              > Maybe something from the Lay of Luthien?
              >
              >One very quick scan can up with:
              >
              >"and Fate them forged a binding chain
              >of living love and mortal pain."

              And you're suggesting this for a wedding ring?

              - David Bratman
            • ERATRIANO@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
                In a message dated 11/15/2002 1:03:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                dbratman@... writes:

                > of living love and mortal pain."
                >
                > And you're suggesting this for a wedding ring?

                Yeah, really. Sounds Way too realistic. Lust and bills, adoration and sinus
                trouble...

                sorry.

                What IS all this about Action Chicks anyway?

                Lizzie

              • JP Massar
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
                  At 10:01 AM 11/15/02 -0800, you wrote:
                  >At 09:36 AM 11/15/2002 , JP Massar wrote:
                  >
                  > > Maybe something from the Lay of Luthien?
                  > >
                  > >One very quick scan can up with:
                  > >
                  > >"and Fate them forged a binding chain
                  > >of living love and mortal pain."
                  >
                  >And you're suggesting this for a wedding ring?

                  Depending on one's views and take on the verse,
                  some might find it appropriate.

                  I was mostly suggesting the poem as a potential source
                  of quotes for an inscription; not that particular one.
                • David S. Bratman
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
                    At 09:36 AM 11/15/2002 , JP Massar wrote:

                    >> > Maybe something from the Lay of Luthien?
                    >> >
                    >> >One very quick scan can up with:
                    >> >
                    >> >"and Fate them forged a binding chain
                    >> >of living love and mortal pain."
                    >>
                    >>And you're suggesting this for a wedding ring?
                    >
                    >Depending on one's views and take on the verse,
                    >some might find it appropriate.

                    "A binding chain of ... mortal pain"? Orcs, perhaps.

                    - David Bratman
                  • Stolzi@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
                      In a message dated 11/15/2002 12:03:30 PM Central Standard Time,
                      dbratman@... writes:

                      > >"and Fate them forged a binding chain
                      > >of living love and mortal pain."
                      >
                      > And you're suggesting this for a wedding ring?

                      Turns out I misread and it is just a "girlfriend" ring. But who knows what
                      may develop, perhaps the ring should say "Even the very wise cannot see all
                      ends."

                      Diamond Proudbrook

                    • SusanPal@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
                        In a message dated 11/15/2002 2:47:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                        Stolzi@... writes:

                        > Turns out I misread and it is just a "girlfriend" ring. But who knows what
                        > may develop, perhaps the ring should say "Even the very wise cannot see all
                        >
                        > ends."

                        :How about, "hope without guarantees"? ;-)

                        Susan

                      • Berni Phillips
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
                          From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>

                          > At 09:36 AM 11/15/2002 , JP Massar wrote:
                          >
                          > > Maybe something from the Lay of Luthien?
                          > >
                          > >"and Fate them forged a binding chain
                          > >of living love and mortal pain."
                          >
                          > And you're suggesting this for a wedding ring?

                          Yes, ugh. I threw the catalog out so I can't remember the name of it, but
                          they do sell rings with "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine" written
                          in either Latin or Hebrew, whichever you prefer, in silver or gold. If I'd
                          seen that before we got married, I'd be sorely tempted to get those as
                          wedding rings.

                          Berni
                        • Berni Phillips
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
                            From: <SusanPal@...>

                            > Stolzi@... writes:
                            >

                            > > Turns out I misread and it is just a "girlfriend" ring. But who knows
                            what
                            > > may develop, perhaps the ring should say "Even the very wise cannot see
                            all
                            > > ends."
                            > >

                            > :How about, "hope without guarantees"? ;-)

                            How about "not all that glitters is gold"? Or diamonds, in some cases.
                            Heh-heh.

                            Berni
                          • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
                              In a message dated 11/15/2002 8:31:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                              bernip@... writes:

                              > Yes, ugh. I threw the catalog out so I can't remember the name of it, but
                              > they do sell rings with "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine" written
                              > in either Latin or Hebrew, whichever you prefer, in silver or gold. If I'd
                              > seen that before we got married, I'd be sorely tempted to get those as
                              > wedding rings.

                              I've seen them too. Wonder if you could find them via google. Get them as
                              anniversary rings...? Between them and the AVO ones I've seen, there's a
                              lot to covet.

                              Lizzie, making jewelry tonight as it happens...

                            • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
                                The Source for Everything Jewish has them in Hebrew.
                                http://www.jewishsource.com I searched under Wedding Ring and found
                                several versions.

                                I'm drooling over the celtic knot ones at Pyramid Collection. That is
                                what we wanted when we got married, but "Romantic" wasn't in that year.
                                *sigh*

                                Mythically yours,
                                Lisa

                              • Stolzi@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 16, 2002
                                  I received a "hope this helps" on another list with the following - the
                                  website may be of interest to some:

                                  "Try the Grey Company website at <A HREF="http://www.grey-company.org/">http://www.grey-company.org/</A>

                                  "The entire site is related to the elvish language as originally concieved by
                                  Tolkein. It has a really nice elvish font style too! Additionally, for free
                                  download, there are both an elvish phrase dictionary and a regular dictionary
                                  too.

                                  "Here's some examples from the Phrase book

                                  A star shall shine on the hour of our meeting
                                  Elen sila lumenn omentilmo

                                  My heart sings to see thee
                                  Cormamin lindua ele lle

                                  Don't talk about what you have done (or what you are going to do). (Do
                                  it and let it speak for itself.)
                                  Uuma quena en'mani lle ume (ri'mani lle umaya). (Uma ta ar'lava ta quena
                                  ten'irste'.)

                                  Fair winds
                                  Vanya sulie

                                  May the leaves of your life tree never turn brown
                                  Aa' lasser en lle coia orn n' omenta gurtha

                                  May the wind fill your sails
                                  Aa' i'sul nora lanne'lle

                                  May thy paths be green and the breeze on thy back
                                  Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle

                                  The bones of our foes will gleam under the sun
                                  I'narr en gothrim glinuva nuin I'anor "

                                  And I (Diamond Proudbrook again) add:

                                  for SOME girlfriends, maybe

                                  "The bones of our foes will gleam under the sun"

                                  would be just the ticket? :)

                                  DP

                                • Stolzi@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 16, 2002
                                    Anyway, the gentleman in question went for another Irish inscription, not
                                    LOTR-related after all. It had to do with "intertwining" - perhaps in
                                    reference to the characteristic tracings of Celtic art, I don't know.

                                    quote

                                    ANAM CHÁIRDE IDIRCEANGAILTE GO DEO

                                    soul mates intertwined for eternity

                                    /quote

                                    Diamond Proudbrook
                                  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 18, 2002
                                      I'd love the Celtic knotwork rings, so I'll have to check out Pyramid
                                      Collections; as for the inscription, it might be fun to find some droll
                                      hobbitish proverb. ---djb

                                      http://mail2web.com/ .