Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 1040

  • Steve Schaper
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 15, 2002
      I love the new 'directors cut' release. The additional Shire scenes really help.
      The commentary suggests that they felt that this distracted from the film, that they needed to get into the action right away, that they needed the prolog so that people watching it would understand that the Ring was dangerous and evil.

      But the Concerning Hobbits scene does that rather better, combined with the Green Dragon scene and the expanded bits in the rest of the beginning.

      Suspense. Jackson must not understand suspense. :-(

      They could have cut the too-early scenes of Isengard and left new people wondering about Isengard, wondering if the Rohirrim had gone over or not, until the right moments in the story. :-(
      And gotten rid of the non-canonical cloning of Uruk-hai. That would have saved them the time, and produced greater suspense and feeling. IMHO.

      This, though, is definitely the cut to own.

      Steve Schaper
    • Eleanor Farrell
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 15, 2002
        David Bratman wrote:

        >I'm glad you got that straight. One might feel tempted to play with the
        >bookends as with dolls. "So, Isildur, seen any good movies lately?" "No,
        >I can't get in the door with my arm stuck out like this."

        Too bad they are both guys. Otherwise they would make great Action Chicks......

        Ellie

        (who has received a suspicious-looking wrapped Christmas gift ...)
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 15, 2002
          At 08:27 AM 11/15/2002 , Ellie Farrell wrote:
          >David Bratman wrote:
          >
          >>I'm glad you got that straight. One might feel tempted to play with the
          >>bookends as with dolls. "So, Isildur, seen any good movies lately?" "No,
          >>I can't get in the door with my arm stuck out like this."
          >
          >Too bad they are both guys. Otherwise they would make great Action
          Chicks......

          Hey, Arden made a great Action Chick. A little miniaturized sewing, and
          I'm sure something could be done for Isildur and Anarion.

          - David Bratman
        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 15, 2002
            At 07:50 AM 11/15/2002 , Steve Schaper wrote:

            >I love the new 'directors cut' release. The additional Shire scenes really
            >help.

            In the original DVD release, there was a preview of this release, in which
            Jackson is adamant that this release is not the 'director's cut'. The
            theatrical release was the way he, the director, wanted it. I gather that
            his concern was to keep it down to 3 hours. ("If you sit there, my friend,
            from beginning to end / Then your bladder better be strong" - Allan
            Sherman) What he chose to cut out to reach that length is the problem.

            (On the topics of director's cuts in general, see here:
            <http://www.ucomics.com/duplex/2002/11/15/>)

            >The commentary suggests that they felt that this distracted from the film,
            >that they needed to get into the action right away, that they needed the
            >prolog so that people watching it would understand that the Ring was
            >dangerous and evil.

            Now this is what I really don't understand. The book's slow opening hasn't
            prevented it from being immensely popular, and this despite the fact that
            books move slower by nature. (You can't read _Fellowship_ in 3 hours,
            surely.) And don't say that movies have to appeal to a wider audience than
            books: they do so anyway, you measure them on different scales. (If the
            book were as action-packed as the film, it still wouldn't have been read by
            as many people as have seen the film.) In fact, I've seen complaints - by
            those used to the standard action films of today - that this film moves too
            slowly! So they've satisfied neither the action-fiends nor many of us who
            love the book.

            >But the Concerning Hobbits scene does that rather better, combined with the
            >Green Dragon scene and the expanded bits in the rest of the beginning.
            >
            >Suspense. Jackson must not understand suspense. :-(

            Apparently not. Which is both sad and surprising, as his film _Heavenly
            Creatures_ was very suspenseful and well-modulated. Suspense is created by
            slowly building things up: in this film, the heroes are rushing like mad
            before they ever leave the Shire.

            >They could have cut the too-early scenes of Isengard and left new people
            >wondering about Isengard, wondering if the Rohirrim had gone over or not,
            >until the right moments in the story. :-(
            >And gotten rid of the non-canonical cloning of Uruk-hai. That would have
            >saved them the time, and produced greater suspense and feeling. IMHO.

            And in my opinion also.

            - David Bratman
          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 15, 2002
              From: "Eleanor Farrell" <emfarrell@...>

              > David Bratman wrote:
              >
              > >I'm glad you got that straight. One might feel tempted to play with the
              > >bookends as with dolls. "So, Isildur, seen any good movies lately?"
              "No,
              > >I can't get in the door with my arm stuck out like this."
              >
              > Too bad they are both guys. Otherwise they would make great Action
              Chicks......

              Considering all the times you've dressed Arden up as a woman in the Not
              Ready productions, I'm surprised you'd let a little thing like that stop
              you.

              Berni -- and doesn't David's statement prove that boys play with dolls, too?
              They just don't call them that.
            • stephen@stephen.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 15, 2002
                I just watched the 'Extended' version. It was widescreen. It was also a
                MUCH better film. It was even somewhat more true (less un-true) to the
                'spirit' of the books. It was easily long enough and full enough to have
                been two theatrical releases.

                - Stephen
              • SusanPal@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 15, 2002
                  In a message dated 11/15/2002 9:46:48 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                  stephen@... writes:

                  > It was even somewhat more true (less un-true) to the
                  > 'spirit' of the books.

                  I agree -- although I had real trouble with the added scenes in which
                  Aragorn's reluctant about his kingship (which I didn't think he ever was in
                  the book, if only because Elrond had made it the condition of his marrying
                  Arwen!).

                  Susan