Re: [mythsoc] More adventures in DVD

  • David S Bratman
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 14, 2002
      At 08:07 PM 11/14/2002 -0600, Joan Verba wrote:

      > > The Collector's Gift Set (that's the $80 one) has the Extended Edition
      > > stuff plus an additional disk with something called "National Geographic
      > > Beyond the Movie: LOTR: FOTR", plus a lot of fancy packaging including -
      > > goshwowoboyoboy - trading cards and Argonath bookends. This one is
      > > definitely widescreen.
      >
      >Hurrah! Yes, that's what I wanted...and that's what the associate
      >ordered for me.

      I'm glad you got that straight. One might feel tempted to play with the
      bookends as with dolls. "So, Isildur, seen any good movies lately?" "No,
      I can't get in the door with my arm stuck out like this."

      > > The fact that I've considered it worthwhile to stuff my head with all this
      > > information fills me with deep sorrow.
      >
      >I understand. It's indeed ironic that you had the information and didn't
      >want it, and I wanted it but didn't have it (although I concede I would
      >have if I had looked it up on the web).
      Ah, but it's very useful for helping out other people, and keeping it
      straight in one's own mind, isn't it? Similarly, I can't count the number
      of times I've explained to people how to distinguish between the two
      available audio dramatizations of LOTR, and which one is
      better. Explaining the difference between the movie editions is sort of
      the same thing. I don't mind it, really, it's just ... well, this is not
      what I got involved in Tolkien fandom for. This is not what I was
      anticipating when I fell in love with Middle-earth.

      ("This is not what I was anticipating when I fell in love with you," as the
      man said to his wife while he was changing the baby's diaper. Well, he
      should have anticipated it, and I should have anticipated this.)

      - David Bratman
    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 15, 2002
        In a message dated 11/14/2002 10:18:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        dbratman@... writes:

        > Similarly, I can't count the number
        > of times I've explained to people how to distinguish between the two
        > available audio dramatizations of LOTR, and which one is
        > better. Explaining the difference between the movie editions is sort of
        > the same thing. I don't mind it, really, it's just ... well, this is not
        > what I got involved in Tolkien fandom for. This is not what I was
        > anticipating when I fell in love with Middle-earth.

        Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

        ;-)

        Susan