More adventures in DVD

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 14, 2002
      "David S. Bratman" wrote:

      > The Collector's Gift Set (that's the $80 one) has the Extended Edition
      > stuff plus an additional disk with something called "National Geographic
      > Beyond the Movie: LOTR: FOTR", plus a lot of fancy packaging including -
      > goshwowoboyoboy - trading cards and Argonath bookends. This one is
      > definitely widescreen.

      Hurrah! Yes, that's what I wanted...and that's what the associate
      ordered for me.

      > The fact that I've considered it worthwhile to stuff my head with all this
      > information fills me with deep sorrow.

      I understand. It's indeed ironic that you had the information and didn't
      want it, and I wanted it but didn't have it (although I concede I would
      have if I had looked it up on the web).

      Thanks!
      Joan
      Joan Marie Verba
      verba001@...
    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 14, 2002
        My husband and I got the Platinum edition, not the Collector's, but we
        watched it last night and liked it very, very much. It is, in our opinion,
        better than the original theatrical release, which we also liked very, very
        much: and better not just by a little bit, but by a lot.

        None of this will comfort poor overladen David, but I'm at least happy to
        report that if you enjoyed the movie in the first place, the extended edition
        is WELL worth acquiring.

        We haven't yet started watching the various documentaries, etc., so I can't
        report on those. I'd have been happy to sit in front of our computer screen
        all day today, doing nothing but absorbing FotR trivia, but I have this
        annoying thing called a life to attend to.

        Drat!

        Susan
      • David S Bratman
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 14, 2002
          At 08:07 PM 11/14/2002 -0600, Joan Verba wrote:

          > > The Collector's Gift Set (that's the $80 one) has the Extended Edition
          > > stuff plus an additional disk with something called "National Geographic
          > > Beyond the Movie: LOTR: FOTR", plus a lot of fancy packaging including -
          > > goshwowoboyoboy - trading cards and Argonath bookends. This one is
          > > definitely widescreen.
          >
          >Hurrah! Yes, that's what I wanted...and that's what the associate
          >ordered for me.

          I'm glad you got that straight. One might feel tempted to play with the
          bookends as with dolls. "So, Isildur, seen any good movies lately?" "No,
          I can't get in the door with my arm stuck out like this."

          > > The fact that I've considered it worthwhile to stuff my head with all this
          > > information fills me with deep sorrow.
          >
          >I understand. It's indeed ironic that you had the information and didn't
          >want it, and I wanted it but didn't have it (although I concede I would
          >have if I had looked it up on the web).
          Ah, but it's very useful for helping out other people, and keeping it
          straight in one's own mind, isn't it? Similarly, I can't count the number
          of times I've explained to people how to distinguish between the two
          available audio dramatizations of LOTR, and which one is
          better. Explaining the difference between the movie editions is sort of
          the same thing. I don't mind it, really, it's just ... well, this is not
          what I got involved in Tolkien fandom for. This is not what I was
          anticipating when I fell in love with Middle-earth.

          ("This is not what I was anticipating when I fell in love with you," as the
          man said to his wife while he was changing the baby's diaper. Well, he
          should have anticipated it, and I should have anticipated this.)

          - David Bratman
        • SusanPal@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 15, 2002
            In a message dated 11/14/2002 10:18:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            dbratman@... writes:

            > Similarly, I can't count the number
            > of times I've explained to people how to distinguish between the two
            > available audio dramatizations of LOTR, and which one is
            > better. Explaining the difference between the movie editions is sort of
            > the same thing. I don't mind it, really, it's just ... well, this is not
            > what I got involved in Tolkien fandom for. This is not what I was
            > anticipating when I fell in love with Middle-earth.

            Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

            ;-)

            Susan