More adventures in DVD

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 14, 2002
      When I last reported in, in August, I had accidentally purchased the
      fullscreen version (of Fellowship of the Ring) instead of the
      widescreen. This I was going to amend on Nov. 12.

      However, I work 2 jobs, and I didn't have time to go out and buy the DVD
      on Nov. 12, or yesterday, so I went today.

      First stop: Blockbuster. Didn't see it. Associates asked what I was
      looking for. I carefully said I wanted the collector's edition. They
      handed me the extended release DVD. I told them that was not it. They
      said that what I wanted wouldn't be released for some time, and that
      THIS was the collector's edition.

      I walked out.

      Then I went to Best Buy (electronics store, similar to Circuit City).
      Didn't see it there (either version). Asked for help. Finally got the
      attention of an associate. I carefully said I wanted the collector's
      edition. Some confusion, so I specified that I knew that there would be
      2 releases on Nov. 12, and I wanted the one with more stuff on it. She
      said that there was an extended release DVD, and then there was a "gift
      set" which had more features on it. I said that's what I wanted. She
      said they sold out of it the first day. I asked when they would get it
      in. She said they would give me a "rain check." Turns out they'll call
      me if I take a "rain check" so I did. They filled it out and I find that
      they offer a reduced price of 49.99 (associate claimed that was the
      lowest price in the area). I took it.

      So, I think I have the right edition. I just have to be sure that I get
      the widescreen version. Yes?

      Joan

      Joan Marie Verba
      verba001@...
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 14, 2002
        Joan -

        Unfortunately, I'm not any more certain than the clerks were as to what you
        actually want.

        The problem is that, as far as I can tell from both the official film site
        at www.lordoftherings.net and from Amazon, the term "Collector's edition"
        is not used for the original DVD, the one that came out last spring. That
        was just "The Fellowship of the Ring" with no special edition name. It has
        2 disks.

        The new edition, the one that came out a couple days ago, is called the
        Extended Edition. It has 4 disks. The original 2-disk, by contrast, is
        the DVD of the theatrical release, although that's not its official title.

        However, there is something called the "Collector's Gift Set", and it's a
        fancy boxed set of the Extended Edition. Judging by the terms you used and
        the price you're paying, that's what you've ordered. (The clerk was right:
        it's cheap; the list price is $80 and Amazon is selling it at $60.)

        This explains, I think, why the clerks got so confused by what you were
        telling them. At any rate, that is, of all editions, the one with the most
        stuff, so if that's what you want, that's what you're getting. (See below.)

        I would have guessed that, having bought the original DVD last spring in
        fullscreen (i.e. trimmed), what you'd now want is the same thing in
        widescreen (i.e. letterbox). If so, what you should say to the clerk is
        that you want the theatrical release, 2-disk set, in widescreen. List
        price is $30, Amazon is selling it for $20.

        The theatrical release has the film on one disk, no commentary tracks, and
        a bunch of making-of featurettes and the other usual DVD garbage on the
        other. It comes, as you've already discovered, in both widescreen and
        fullscreen.

        The Extended Edition has a re-cut film, 30 minutes longer than the
        theatrical release, plus several audio commentary tracks, split between 2
        disks, with 4 separate audio commentary tracks. The other two disks have
        more extended making-of material than the other release had. I presume it
        is widescreen, though Amazon doesn't say. This one has a list price of
        $40, Amazon price of $26.

        The Collector's Gift Set (that's the $80 one) has the Extended Edition
        stuff plus an additional disk with something called "National Geographic
        Beyond the Movie: LOTR: FOTR", plus a lot of fancy packaging including -
        goshwowoboyoboy - trading cards and Argonath bookends. This one is
        definitely widescreen.

        The fact that I've considered it worthwhile to stuff my head with all this
        information fills me with deep sorrow.

        - David Bratman
      • Joan Marie Verba
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 14, 2002
          "David S. Bratman" wrote:

          > The Collector's Gift Set (that's the $80 one) has the Extended Edition
          > stuff plus an additional disk with something called "National Geographic
          > Beyond the Movie: LOTR: FOTR", plus a lot of fancy packaging including -
          > goshwowoboyoboy - trading cards and Argonath bookends. This one is
          > definitely widescreen.

          Hurrah! Yes, that's what I wanted...and that's what the associate
          ordered for me.

          > The fact that I've considered it worthwhile to stuff my head with all this
          > information fills me with deep sorrow.

          I understand. It's indeed ironic that you had the information and didn't
          want it, and I wanted it but didn't have it (although I concede I would
          have if I had looked it up on the web).

          Thanks!
          Joan
          Joan Marie Verba
          verba001@...
        • SusanPal@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 14, 2002
            My husband and I got the Platinum edition, not the Collector's, but we
            watched it last night and liked it very, very much. It is, in our opinion,
            better than the original theatrical release, which we also liked very, very
            much: and better not just by a little bit, but by a lot.

            None of this will comfort poor overladen David, but I'm at least happy to
            report that if you enjoyed the movie in the first place, the extended edition
            is WELL worth acquiring.

            We haven't yet started watching the various documentaries, etc., so I can't
            report on those. I'd have been happy to sit in front of our computer screen
            all day today, doing nothing but absorbing FotR trivia, but I have this
            annoying thing called a life to attend to.

            Drat!

            Susan
          • David S Bratman
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 14, 2002
              At 08:07 PM 11/14/2002 -0600, Joan Verba wrote:

              > > The Collector's Gift Set (that's the $80 one) has the Extended Edition
              > > stuff plus an additional disk with something called "National Geographic
              > > Beyond the Movie: LOTR: FOTR", plus a lot of fancy packaging including -
              > > goshwowoboyoboy - trading cards and Argonath bookends. This one is
              > > definitely widescreen.
              >
              >Hurrah! Yes, that's what I wanted...and that's what the associate
              >ordered for me.

              I'm glad you got that straight. One might feel tempted to play with the
              bookends as with dolls. "So, Isildur, seen any good movies lately?" "No,
              I can't get in the door with my arm stuck out like this."

              > > The fact that I've considered it worthwhile to stuff my head with all this
              > > information fills me with deep sorrow.
              >
              >I understand. It's indeed ironic that you had the information and didn't
              >want it, and I wanted it but didn't have it (although I concede I would
              >have if I had looked it up on the web).
              Ah, but it's very useful for helping out other people, and keeping it
              straight in one's own mind, isn't it? Similarly, I can't count the number
              of times I've explained to people how to distinguish between the two
              available audio dramatizations of LOTR, and which one is
              better. Explaining the difference between the movie editions is sort of
              the same thing. I don't mind it, really, it's just ... well, this is not
              what I got involved in Tolkien fandom for. This is not what I was
              anticipating when I fell in love with Middle-earth.

              ("This is not what I was anticipating when I fell in love with you," as the
              man said to his wife while he was changing the baby's diaper. Well, he
              should have anticipated it, and I should have anticipated this.)

              - David Bratman
            • SusanPal@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 15, 2002
                In a message dated 11/14/2002 10:18:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                dbratman@... writes:

                > Similarly, I can't count the number
                > of times I've explained to people how to distinguish between the two
                > available audio dramatizations of LOTR, and which one is
                > better. Explaining the difference between the movie editions is sort of
                > the same thing. I don't mind it, really, it's just ... well, this is not
                > what I got involved in Tolkien fandom for. This is not what I was
                > anticipating when I fell in love with Middle-earth.

                Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

                ;-)

                Susan