Re: [mythsoc] Shippey, France and probably other question

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 13, 2002
      I think technically "langue d'oc", "Occitan", and "Provencal" (another name
      for the same language/region) mean slightly different things, but in
      practice they're synonyms.

      I've seen a few 19th-century books printed in this language, but it's not
      common. France is traditionally very harsh on its linguistic/cultural
      minorities - ask the Bretons. In this it differs sharply from Spain, where
      Catalan, though certainly looked down upon by high Castillans, flourishes
      and many books in it - and some other minority tongues - are published.
      (That Barcelona, capital of Catalonia, is also the center of Spain's
      book-publishing industry doesn't hurt.)

      Catalan comes to my mind in connection with Occitan, because the written
      languages both look (to my eye) like crosses between French and Spanish -
      but totally different crosses, quite distinct from each other. No doubt
      Alexei can say more about that.

      - David Bratman
    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 13, 2002
        In a message dated 11/13/2 6:15:16 PM, Lizzie wrote:

        <<> Ieu parli la lenga d'òc -- l'ai appresa quora eri joine. :-)

        Ooh what does that mean, Alexei?>>

        It just means "I speak Occitan -- I learned it when I was young".
        Alexei
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 13, 2002
          In a message dated 11/13/2002 1:29:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          alexeik@... writes:

          > It just means "I speak Occitan -- I learned it when I was young".

          I guessed the first part, the second was the stumper. So did you really?
          Not something you pick up in school over here, I suspect.

          I am so sorry I didn't get to that con this summer... you and Connie Willis,
          what a combination...

          Lizzie