Re: [mythsoc] Shippey, France and probably other question

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 13, 2002
      In a message dated 11/13/2002 1:11:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      alexeik@... writes:

      > Ieu parli la lenga d'òc -- l'ai appresa quora eri joine. :-)

      Ooh what does that mean, Alexei? Mmmm.... your posts always make me purr.
      Anyway, is it really Occitan? That's so exciting. I get EBLUL's Lesser Used
      Languages CONTACT publication, although I usually skim it and set it aside.
      I will pay closer attention in the future. Thank you so much, and I'll be
      rereading your post a few times today. Just the words above ooze troubador
      music to my ears...

      Lizzie the Flirt

    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 13, 2002
        I think technically "langue d'oc", "Occitan", and "Provencal" (another name
        for the same language/region) mean slightly different things, but in
        practice they're synonyms.

        I've seen a few 19th-century books printed in this language, but it's not
        common. France is traditionally very harsh on its linguistic/cultural
        minorities - ask the Bretons. In this it differs sharply from Spain, where
        Catalan, though certainly looked down upon by high Castillans, flourishes
        and many books in it - and some other minority tongues - are published.
        (That Barcelona, capital of Catalonia, is also the center of Spain's
        book-publishing industry doesn't hurt.)

        Catalan comes to my mind in connection with Occitan, because the written
        languages both look (to my eye) like crosses between French and Spanish -
        but totally different crosses, quite distinct from each other. No doubt
        Alexei can say more about that.

        - David Bratman
      • alexeik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 13, 2002
          In a message dated 11/13/2 6:15:16 PM, Lizzie wrote:

          <<> Ieu parli la lenga d'òc -- l'ai appresa quora eri joine. :-)

          Ooh what does that mean, Alexei?>>

          It just means "I speak Occitan -- I learned it when I was young".
          Alexei
        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 13, 2002
            In a message dated 11/13/2002 1:29:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            alexeik@... writes:

            > It just means "I speak Occitan -- I learned it when I was young".

            I guessed the first part, the second was the stumper. So did you really?
            Not something you pick up in school over here, I suspect.

            I am so sorry I didn't get to that con this summer... you and Connie Willis,
            what a combination...

            Lizzie