Fw: Virus possible

  • tedsherman@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 13, 2002
      Dear Friends and Colleagues:

      I received the following message from a colleague. My computer may have
      passed this virus--not detected by Norton or McAfee--along to you. Follow
      the directions below to remove the virus.

      Ted

      ------------------------------
      Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
      Mythopoeic Literature
      Associate Professor of English
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132
      615 898-2653 Office
      615 898-5098 FAX
      tsherman@... Office
      tedsherman@... Home

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 13, 2002
        Warning: The following virus message is a HOAX! Do not delete this file.

        In the words of Symantec, the people who make Norton,

        "This is a hoax that, like the SULFNBK.EXE Warning hoax, tries to persuade you
        to delete a legitimate Windows file from your computer. The file that the hoax
        refers to, Jdbgmgr.exe, is a Java Debugger Manager. It is a Microsoft file that
        is installed when you install Windows. NOTE: Recent version of this hoax take
        advantage of the recent outbreak of the W32.bugbear@mm worm, and the fact that
        the Jdbgmgr.exe file that is mentioned in the hoax has a bear icon. The actual
        W32.bugbear@mm worm file is an .exe file and does not have a bear icon."

        See <http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html> for
        verification and details.

        - David Bratman

      • pdisante
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 13, 2002
          Oh, David, THANK YOU!

          One less thing we all have to worry about...

          Thanks again!

          P--

        • Randall Eicher
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 13, 2002
            Warning!! This is a hoax that has been going around. The program is a
            necessary program for Windows and is part of the Java debugging tools. If
            you visit www.symantec.com and review the Norton write up on this hoax, it
            explains how to fix the problem if you have already deleted the file.

            Randall Eicher (list lurker)

          • Mark E. Hall
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 13, 2002
              You really don't weant to delete that file. It is a hoax. Check the
              Norton site....

              Best, MEH