[mythsoc] Fwd: Re: Tolkien reading

  • Pauline J. Alama
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2002
      I not only know of a marathon Tolkien reading, but I was a happy participant! In 1983, the Columbia University Science Fiction Society read the entire Lord of the Rings aloud from the legendary "Sundial" (a campus landmark that frequently serves as a podium for political rallies) in the middle of College Walk. We signed up for shifts of an hour or two from 9:00 to 5:00 Monday through Friday on the week of the Fall of the Ring (March 25). It ran overtime, till 7:00 or 8:00 Friday. Often multiple members would
      sign up to read together, which at least once evolved into taking roles in dialog. I was lucky enough to fall into the part of Galadriel opposite Mike Rubin (who I think was a sometime member of the Mythopoeic Society?) as Gimli. It was tremendous fun, despite the occasional rude comment from a passer-by. One passing gentleman asked if we were a cult. I'm not sure, but I think that CUSFS has kept up the tradition of marathon readings.

      Pauline J. Alama
      http://www.geocities.com/paulinejalama/paulinealama.html
      THE EYE OF NIGHT
      (Bantam Spectra, July 2002)

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 10, 2002
        Pauline J. Alama writes:
        >I not only know of a marathon Tolkien reading, but I was a happy
        >participant! In 1983, the Columbia University Science Fiction Society
        >read the entire Lord of the Rings aloud from the legendary "Sundial"

        Oh, wow!

        >sign up to read together, which at least once evolved into taking
        >roles in dialog. I was lucky enough to fall into the part of
        >Galadriel opposite Mike Rubin (who I think was a sometime member of
        >the Mythopoeic Society?) as Gimli.

        May he rest in peace. I didn't know you'd known Mike. (who, among
        his filking endevours, did Borimir's Song to music).

        >if we were a cult. I'm not sure, but I think that CUSFS has kept up
        >the tradition of marathon readings.

        Not in recent memory (er, that would be 10 years or so, on my part).
        It would be a lovely tradition to revive, though; may talk to the
        current membership at some point -- we do continue the tradition of
        the Bilbo and Frodo birthday party (complete with reading the first
        chapter), but AFAIK, there is no marathon reading.

        --
        Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "I've been teaching |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
        --^--him...to live, to breathe, to walk, to sample the /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'