Fwd: Re: Tolkien reading

  • Eleanor Farrell
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 9, 2002
      In relation to the post I just sent about the marathon LOTR reading
      in Cleveland next week, I'm also passing on a note about another
      Tolkien reading that took place in September. Thanks to Chuck Huttar
      for forwarding the info. Per Chuck's message to me below, DOES anyone
      on the list know of other similar events?

      Ellie

      >>Dear Eleanor,
      >>
      >>You may find the following item worth including in _Mythprint_
      >>under "News and
      >>Notes." There is no need to put my name above or below it; let it just be
      >>considered as submitted anonymously. It might also be interesting to inquire
      >>whether any readers know of similar events, past or to come.
      >> Chuck
      >>
      >>A marathon reading of _The Fellowship of the Ring_ took place Sept. 27-28 at
      >>Hope College, Holland, Michigan. Organized by Curtis Gruenler, associate
      >>professor of English, the outdoor event (in the Pine Grove in the center of
      >>campus) ran from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Friday and from 10 to 3 on Saturday.
      >>Approximately 120 students, faculty, and others participated, Gruenler
      >>reports. Readers signed up in advance for 10-minute slots, and most stayed to
      >>hear other bits of the story as well; a faithful core audience of students
      >>stayed around for most of it. When the volume was finished in slightly less
      >>than the 17 hours allotted, those with reading slots near the end
      >>went on into
      >>_The Two Towers_, thus (though unplanned) matching the time frame of the
      >>recent _Lord of the Rings_ movie.
      >>
      >>Gruenler, who teaches Tolkien and Barfield in his "History of the English
      >>Language" course and included Charles Williams's poetry last year in a course
      >>on Arthurian literature, hopes to make the reading marathon an annual event,
      >>going on next year to the second volume in the trilogy. Earlier
      >>such events at
      >>Hope College, organized by Society members Peter Schakel and Charles Huttar,
      >>had done Milton's _Paradise Lost_ in a single 11-hour session (with meal
      >>breaks--vegetarian for lunch, carnivorous after Book IX).
    • Pauline J. Alama
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 10, 2002
        I not only know of a marathon Tolkien reading, but I was a happy participant! In 1983, the Columbia University Science Fiction Society read the entire Lord of the Rings aloud from the legendary "Sundial" (a campus landmark that frequently serves as a podium for political rallies) in the middle of College Walk. We signed up for shifts of an hour or two from 9:00 to 5:00 Monday through Friday on the week of the Fall of the Ring (March 25). It ran overtime, till 7:00 or 8:00 Friday. Often multiple members would
        sign up to read together, which at least once evolved into taking roles in dialog. I was lucky enough to fall into the part of Galadriel opposite Mike Rubin (who I think was a sometime member of the Mythopoeic Society?) as Gimli. It was tremendous fun, despite the occasional rude comment from a passer-by. One passing gentleman asked if we were a cult. I'm not sure, but I think that CUSFS has kept up the tradition of marathon readings.

        Pauline J. Alama
        http://www.geocities.com/paulinejalama/paulinealama.html
        THE EYE OF NIGHT
        (Bantam Spectra, July 2002)

        > In relation to the post I just sent about the marathon LOTR reading
        > in Cleveland next week, I'm also passing on a note about another
        > Tolkien reading that took place in September. Thanks to Chuck Huttar
        > for forwarding the info. Per Chuck's message to me below, DOES anyone
        > on the list know of other similar events?
        >
        > Ellie
        >
        > >>Dear Eleanor,
        > >>
        > >>You may find the following item worth including in _Mythprint_
        > >>under "News and
        > >>Notes." There is no need to put my name above or below it;
        > let it just be
        > >>considered as submitted anonymously. It might also be interesting
        > to inquire
        > >>whether any readers know of similar events, past or to come.
        > >> Chuck
        > >>
        > >>A marathon reading of _The Fellowship of the Ring_ took place
        > Sept. 27-28 at
        > >>Hope College, Holland, Michigan. Organized by Curtis Gruenler,
        > associate
        > >>professor of English, the outdoor event (in the Pine Grove in the
        > center of
        > >>campus) ran from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Friday and from 10 to 3 on
        > Saturday.
        > >>Approximately 120 students, faculty, and others participated,
        > Gruenler
        > >>reports. Readers signed up in advance for 10-minute slots, and
        > most stayed to
        > >>hear other bits of the story as well; a faithful core audience of
        > students
        > >>stayed around for most of it. When the volume was finished in
        > slightly less
        > >>than the 17 hours allotted, those with reading slots near the end
        >
        > >>went on into
        > >>_The Two Towers_, thus (though unplanned) matching the time frame
        > of the
        > >>recent _Lord of the Rings_ movie.
        > >>
        > >>Gruenler, who teaches Tolkien and Barfield in his "History of
        > the English
        > >>Language" course and included Charles Williams's poetry last
        > year in a course
        > >>on Arthurian literature, hopes to make the reading marathon an
        > annual event,
        > >>going on next year to the second volume in the trilogy. Earlier
        > >>such events at
        > >>Hope College, organized by Society members Peter Schakel and
        > Charles Huttar,
        > >>had done Milton's _Paradise Lost_ in a single 11-hour session
        > (with meal
        > >>breaks--vegetarian for lunch, carnivorous after Book IX).

        Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com
      • Joshua Kronengold
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 10, 2002
          Pauline J. Alama writes:
          >I not only know of a marathon Tolkien reading, but I was a happy
          >participant! In 1983, the Columbia University Science Fiction Society
          >read the entire Lord of the Rings aloud from the legendary "Sundial"

          Oh, wow!

          >sign up to read together, which at least once evolved into taking
          >roles in dialog. I was lucky enough to fall into the part of
          >Galadriel opposite Mike Rubin (who I think was a sometime member of
          >the Mythopoeic Society?) as Gimli.

          May he rest in peace. I didn't know you'd known Mike. (who, among
          his filking endevours, did Borimir's Song to music).

          >if we were a cult. I'm not sure, but I think that CUSFS has kept up
          >the tradition of marathon readings.

          Not in recent memory (er, that would be 10 years or so, on my part).
          It would be a lovely tradition to revive, though; may talk to the
          current membership at some point -- we do continue the tradition of
          the Bilbo and Frodo birthday party (complete with reading the first
          chapter), but AFAIK, there is no marathon reading.

          --
          Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "I've been teaching |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
          --^--him...to live, to breathe, to walk, to sample the /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'