Harry Potter revisionist history

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2002
      Harry (the boy, not the story) has no fans at
      <http://slate.msn.com/?id=2073627>

      - David Bratman
    • Kevin Bowring
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2002
        Thanks for the link. It's nice to know that the world is not utterly bereft
        of humorless Gradgrinds.
        Kevin Bowring

      • SusanPal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2002
          The writer has a point! On the other hand, at least some readers (although
          not this one) are a bit uncomfortable with what a huge role luck and chance
          play in Frodo's quest too -- although Frodo also consistently makes important
          choices.

          On another subject, I've finally finished Mieville's THE SCAR and am happy to
          report that it's even better than PERDIDO STREET STATION. The guy really
          does have remarkable gifts, even if the ego that goes along with them is a
          little unpleasant. Is anybody going to WisCon this year, where he'll be one
          of the guests of honor? I'm really hoping to make it. Of course, I've said
          that about at least three other conventions over the past few years,
          including MythCon, and so far have remained stolidly at home. *Sigh*

          Have a good weekend, everybody!

          Susan
        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 8, 2002
            At 09:13 AM 11/8/2002 , Susan Palwick wrote:
            >The writer has a point!

            And is pretty funny about it too, therefore on two grounds I disagree with
            Kevin's description of "a humorless Gradgrind."

            >On the other hand, at least some readers (although
            >not this one) are a bit uncomfortable with what a huge role luck and chance
            >play in Frodo's quest too -- although Frodo also consistently makes important
            >choices.

            The role of pure happenstantial luck in LOTR is extremely limited. It's
            how Bilbo got the Ring (and note that this event is in The Hobbit, not
            LOTR), but that can hardly be considered lucky for Frodo. Most cases of
            luck in LOTR - especially the luck that gets Frodo & Sam to the Fire - are
            not happenstantial at all, but are the result of characters making their
            own luck through courage and integrity. (There's an old saying, "Luck
            favors the prepared mind.")

            What there's even less of in LOTR than luck is what the writer was
            complaining of in Harry Potter - useful abilities descending on the hero
            without any effort or even awareness on his part, and not at all tied in
            with his other characteristics. (A boy who wears glasses, the best at a
            game requiring spotting a nearly invisible ball? Possible, perhaps, but it
            clashes: Harry seems thrown together out of disparate pieces.)

            >Is anybody going to WisCon this year?

            I'm not, but I've been a couple of times, and enjoyed it greatly. Probably
            one of the best conventions around to discuss literature seriously with
            intelligent people, and its interests and approach differ from Mythcon's:
            feminist "soft" science-fiction is its focus. There will definitely be
            people there - more than at Mythcon, surely - who will remember _Flying in
            Place_, and welcome its author fondly. Tell them now that you're coming,
            and they'll undoubtably put you on programming. Then you can't back out!
            (And then you'll go every year, and perhaps never make it to Mythcon at
            all, sigh.) A few Mythies go to Wiscon regularly, including the Tolkien
            scholar Richard West, who is a local.

            - David Bratman