Re: [mythsoc] a question on Father Christmas Letters

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2002
      Vincent wrote:

      >A new edition of Tolkien's Father Christmas Letters is to be published in
      French ; but there is one thing I do not understand :
      >I think it is a reference to a brand : in December 1932, Tolkien mentions
      twice "the Hornby things" among the toys that Father Christmas keeps in his
      cellars... does it ring a bell to you ? is it a famous brand before the
      war, which would still be famous in England ? I thought Mythsoc might be of
      great help in this matter !

      My English wife saw this and immediately said "toy trains", which is
      correct: Hornby are still the leading brand of model trains in the U.K.
      They have a website, www.hornby.co.uk, which however doesn't want to let me
      in this morning.

      Wayne Hammond
    • Vincent Ferré
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7, 2002
        Wayne Hammond wrote :

        >My English wife saw this and immediately said "toy trains", which is
        correct: Hornby are still the leading brand of model trains in the U.K.

        Thank you very much, for the answer and your diligence ! It is of great help.
        best regards

        Vincent