a question on Father Christmas Letters

  • Vincent Ferré
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2002
      Good morning,

      A new edition of Tolkien's Father Christmas Letters is to be published in French ; but there is one thing I do not understand :
      I think it is a reference to a brand : in December 1932, Tolkien mentions twice "the Hornby things" among the toys that Father Christmas keeps in his cellars... does it ring a bell to you ? is it a famous brand before the war, which would still be famous in England ? I thought Mythsoc might be of great help in this matter !

      thanks a lot
      Vincent

      ps : as far as music is concerned (cf. yesterday's mail) : a French adaptation has been authorized by the Tolkien Estate (if I'm not mistaken) : Patrice Deceuninck's The Ring Bearer, recorded by a symphonic orchestra in St. Petersburg ; a concert is to take place there in a few days. cf. http://pdeceuninck.fr.st/ (website in English)

    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7, 2002
        Vincent wrote:

        >A new edition of Tolkien's Father Christmas Letters is to be published in
        French ; but there is one thing I do not understand :
        >I think it is a reference to a brand : in December 1932, Tolkien mentions
        twice "the Hornby things" among the toys that Father Christmas keeps in his
        cellars... does it ring a bell to you ? is it a famous brand before the
        war, which would still be famous in England ? I thought Mythsoc might be of
        great help in this matter !

        My English wife saw this and immediately said "toy trains", which is
        correct: Hornby are still the leading brand of model trains in the U.K.
        They have a website, www.hornby.co.uk, which however doesn't want to let me
        in this morning.

        Wayne Hammond
      • Vincent Ferré
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 7, 2002
          Wayne Hammond wrote :

          >My English wife saw this and immediately said "toy trains", which is
          correct: Hornby are still the leading brand of model trains in the U.K.

          Thank you very much, for the answer and your diligence ! It is of great help.
          best regards

          Vincent