RE: [mythsoc] Fwd: Williams

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 10, 2002
      Original Message:
      -----------------
      From: Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:34:00 -0500
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [mythsoc] Fwd: Williams

      --- In mythsoc@y..., "dianejoy@e..." <dianejoy@e...> wrote:
      > *All Hallow's Eve* =was= my first crack at Williams. I definitely
      wasn't
      > ready for it. I found *Place of the Lion* much more accessible and
      > recommend it for a first dip into Williams. ---djb

      << That's funny. Those are the only two Williams novels I read, and my
      reaction was the opposite: I enjoyed ALL HALLOWS' EVE (except for the
      ending, which I remember finding disturbing), but I just couldn't
      finish PLACE OF THE LION. As we seem to have similar tastes on a lot
      of other literature, I'd be curious to hear what you liked in "Place
      of the Lion" that I missed. >>

      I liked the relationship between the two characters, and also thought his
      imagery of what would happen if the Platonic forms entered our world was
      fascinating. I am only superficially familiar with Plato, but I did think
      the butterflies were a wondrous image. I still think of it when I see
      butterflies. I think I had to have a much narrowed down plot focus to get
      myself used to what Williams was doing, and PLACE had fewer distracting
      elements.

      <<I guess it was the Platonism that turned me off -- I never could see much
      use for Plato's "ideal forms." >>

      I'm more sympathetic to Aristotle myself, but could entertain the notion in
      a piece of fiction, and found what CW did with it very interesting. Much
      more interesting than Plato himself, who was responsible for numerous
      dictatorial notions that I would prefer fade from memory.

      <<And the statement that the ideal form of a lioness was a male lion made
      me want to send a lioness to eat Williams -- the female of that
      species being notoriously deadlier than the male.>>

      Oops. I'd forgotten about that. Actually, I agree with you, and wonder
      what Williams would say in response to your question.

      I found I liked *All Hallow's Eve,* but had to read it later to understand
      most fully what CW was doing. He can be very opaque until you get used to
      him. ---djb

      http://mail2web.com/ .