Fwd: Williams

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 10, 2002
      --- In mythsoc@y..., "dianejoy@e..." <dianejoy@e...> wrote:
      > *All Hallow's Eve* =was= my first crack at Williams. I definitely
      wasn't
      > ready for it. I found *Place of the Lion* much more accessible and
      > recommend it for a first dip into Williams. ---djb

      That's funny. Those are the only two Williams novels I read, and my
      reaction was the opposite: I enjoyed ALL HALLOWS' EVE (except for the
      ending, which I remember finding disturbing), but I just couldn't
      finish PLACE OF THE LION. As we seem to have similar tastes on a lot
      of other literature, I'd be curious to hear what you liked in "Place
      of the Lion" that I missed. I guess it was the Platonism that turned
      me off -- I never could see much use for Plato's "ideal forms." And
      the statement that the ideal form of a lioness was a male lion made
      me want to send a lioness to eat Williams -- the female of that
      species being notoriously deadlier than the male.

      Pauline
    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 10, 2002
        > *All Hallow's Eve* =was= my first crack at Williams. I definitely
        wasn't
        > ready for it. I found *Place of the Lion* much more accessible and
        > recommend it for a first dip into Williams. ---djb

        << That's funny. Those are the only two Williams novels I read, and my
        reaction was the opposite: I enjoyed ALL HALLOWS' EVE (except for the
        ending, which I remember finding disturbing), but I just couldn't
        finish PLACE OF THE LION. As we seem to have similar tastes on a lot
        of other literature, I'd be curious to hear what you liked in "Place
        of the Lion" that I missed. >>

        I liked the relationship between the two characters, and also thought his
        imagery of what would happen if the Platonic forms entered our world was
        fascinating. I am only superficially familiar with Plato, but I did think
        the butterflies were a wondrous image. I still think of it when I see
        butterflies. I think I had to have a much narrowed down plot focus to get
        myself used to what Williams was doing, and PLACE had fewer distracting
        elements.

        <<I guess it was the Platonism that turned me off -- I never could see much
        use for Plato's "ideal forms." >>

        I'm more sympathetic to Aristotle myself, but could entertain the notion in
        a piece of fiction, and found what CW did with it very interesting. Much
        more interesting than Plato himself, who was responsible for numerous
        dictatorial notions that I would prefer fade from memory.

        <<And the statement that the ideal form of a lioness was a male lion made
        me want to send a lioness to eat Williams -- the female of that
        species being notoriously deadlier than the male.>>

        Oops. I'd forgotten about that. Actually, I agree with you, and wonder
        what Williams would say in response to your question.

        I found I liked *All Hallow's Eve,* but had to read it later to understand
        most fully what CW was doing. He can be very opaque until you get used to
        him. ---djb

        http://mail2web.com/ .