Re: [mythsoc] Mieville et al

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 5, 2002
      In a message dated 10/5/2002 3:29:02 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      > This is the same error that Elizabeth Anne Hull made
      > in the Worldcon panel, when she blamed Tolkien for characteristically
      > Tolclonian flaws in the Tolclone Jackson film, flaws which do not occur in
      > the book, which she's never read. I tend to doubt Mieville has either.

      I'm curious about that. In some interview I read -- I don't remember which
      -- he criticizes Tolkien's stance on the importance of consolation in
      fantasy, which indicates at least a passing acquaintance with "On
      Fairy-stories." That's a fairly sophisticated critique for someone who's
      never read JRRT, and from Mieville's Marxist perspective, I can see where
      it's coming from: consolation as opiate of the masses, or whatever. I'm not
      at all sure that Mieville understands what Tolkien actually *means* by
      consolation, or understands how inextricably entangled it is with loss and
      sorrow (which are the necessary preconditions for consolation!), but people
      who HAVE read Tolkien have gotten those points wrong too.

      > That he thinks the problem is all Tolkien's fault, and not the fault of the
      > clones, is shown by his taking as a compliment the comment that _Perdido
      > Street Station_ is like a fantasy from a world where Peake, not Tolkien,
      > became the father of the field. It did not occur to him that being called
      > a Peake-clone in that world would be as big an insult as being called a
      > Tolclone is in this one.

      Ha! Well put, David!

      Susan