Tristam Shandy

  • M. Briski
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2002
      So Susan and David don't like Tristam Shandy. Is there
      anyone who does like it? Does it have any redeaming
      qualities? I have to read it in the next two weeks and
      be able to explain it to those who haven't read it in
      a fifteen minute presentation. I've started it, but
      haven't gotten past the first section because I'm much
      more concerned with a couple of exams and a very
      important paper. To me it seems witty on a deep level,
      but kind of tedious, in a sense.

      ~Merry

      http://faith.yahoo.com
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2002
        In a message dated 10/5/2002 2:48:33 AM Central Daylight Time,
        aslan122@... writes:

        > So Susan and David don't like Tristam Shandy. Is there
        > anyone who does like it? Does it have any redeaming
        > qualities?

        I like it!

        It's postmodern in a way: it wanders and wanders around, with digression
        after digression, and there is (intentionally) no real story.

        There are some very subtle risque' jokes in it.

        There is also a good deal of tenderness directed to the "author's" eccentric,
        but kind, old Uncle Toby, a wonderful piece of character-drawing.

        Diamond Proudbrook

      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 5, 2002
          At 12:47 AM 10/5/2002 , Merry wrote:
          >So Susan and David don't like Tristam Shandy.

          I'm a little surprised that my reaction to _Tristram Shandy_ got parsed as
          not liking it.

          - David Bratman