Re: Harry Potter, a few remarks

  • THEODORE SHERMAN
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
      I'm over half through the second volume, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets,
      and find both books simply delightful! Harry is a wonderful hero: just like the
      rest of us but with a strange history and destiny.

      I see no moral problems with the stories thus far, though I'm sure many
      Christians will object to the magic/wizards/witches. (My sister-in-law objected
      to the "benign" portrayal of witches and magic. Sigh.) Rowling uses the wizard
      world and Hogwarts (wonderful name, that) as a wonderful vehicle to express the
      same kinds of problems that exist in the Muggle world. In other words, her
      fantasy follows Tolkien's comments in "On Fairy-Stories" that true fantasy is
      predicated on the fact (and assumption) that things really are as they are under
      the sun.

      Her names are also rather good: Draco Malfoy, Albus Dumbledore, Severus Snape,
      Hagrid, etc.

      All in all, these are excellent stories that are wonderfully written and filled
      with enchanting characters.

      Ted

      Stolzi@... wrote:

      > From: Stolzi@...
      >
      > I've just read the first one. I thought it was delightful, very inventive
      > and original and bound to please children. (In fact, I wish I had the
      > license to manufacture Hogwarts T-Shirts and Gryffindor pennants, Chocolate
      > Frog candies, etc...)
      >
      > Any moral problems? Well, the couple who raise Harry, an orphan, together
      > with their own spoiled son, are really bad news, in the worst Roald Dahl
      > tradition, and Harry doesn't like them one bit, either. I see no "love and
      > forgiveness" extended to the Dursleys, but within the framework of this
      > story, perhaps that's all right. And perhaps later on a time will come for
      > that.
      >
      > There are scary things and people, but none of them really overpowering to
      > children, I think.
      >
      > Those who don't have magic gifts [most of us] are called "Muggles," and the
      > witches and wizards don't really have a whole lot of use for them, but carry
      > on a parallel and hidden existence. But some of the "gifted" come from
      > Muggle families, and one of the most sympathetic (and enjoyable) characters
      > is a big lug named Hagrid who washed out of Hogwarts, the wizard school.
      >
      > The books might encourage a bright, bookish child who is given a hard time to
      > feel superior to the ordinary people around him, but I think this is likely
      > to happen anyway without Harry Potter's help.
      >
      > Stylistically? Well, she writes like Roald Dahl, as I mentioned, but I think
      > thicker and richer, also with nice touches a la James Thurber.
      >
      > That's all for this owl :) [The witches, delightfully, send messages via
      > owl, and I am thinking of starting to call all my e-mails "owls."]
      >
      > Mary S

      > New!! Free E-mail @..., @..., @... and more!
      > Mail.com makes it easy to set up a free, personalized e-mail address
      > that you can access anytime and anywhere.
      > http://www.onelist.com/ad/mailcom1

      Prof. Theodore James Sherman
      6545 Dynasty Drive
      Murfreesboro, TN 37128
    • Steve Schaper
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
        At 10:15 AM -0500 9/16/99, THEODORE SHERMAN wrote:

        >I see no moral problems with the stories thus far, though I'm sure many
        >Christians will object to the magic/wizards/witches. (My
        >sister-in-law objected
        >to the "benign" portrayal of witches and magic. Sigh.) Rowling uses the wizard
        >world and Hogwarts (wonderful name, that) as a wonderful vehicle to
        >express the
        >same kinds of problems that exist in the Muggle world. In other words, her
        >fantasy follows Tolkien's comments in "On Fairy-Stories" that true fantasy is
        >predicated on the fact (and assumption) that things really are as
        >they are under
        >the sun.

        As one of those hated Christians (there was another massacre of
        Christian youth last night in this country, the third, I think, in
        the past year), can you tell me about the character of the magic and
        witches portrayed in the books? Is it fairytale magic, or is it a
        portrayal of actual neo-pagan religious practice? Are the witches the
        figures of fairytales, or wiccan priestesses? I haven't read the
        books, and I'm curious to hear a hopefully non-prejudiced analysis.
        ======================================
        It's 1999, where's Moonbase Alpha?
        ======================================
      • THEODORE SHERMAN
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
          I'll respond to Steve's questions, but first a reminder. My message in no way
          disparaged Christians; I simply said that some would object to the witches and
          magic. I don't know why Steve felt compelled to use the phrase "those hated
          Christians," but I wish he hadn't. I'm also a Christian--and I was initially
          predisposed against the Potter books because of all the publicity but also because
          CS Lewis had been compared in an unfavorable light to Rowling. I have found them
          thoroughly enjoyable; and I believe there is as much "morality" in them as in the
          best of fantastic fiction, though it may not be of any particular
          dogmatic/denominational/religious stripe.

          The magic, witches, and wizards definitely are not portrayed according to any sort
          of realism. I think the names, titles of books and spells, and the characters here
          clearly show that the magical aspect is purely fantastic. There is no neo-paganism
          in the books that I can tell. That's why I have no objections whatsoever. There are
          battles between good and evil forces, or between the Dark Arts and those opposed to
          them. I also see elements of love, sacrifice, loyalty, honor, duty, etc. in both
          stories--and these seem to be qualities/values that embodied by the "good"
          characters (Harry, Hermione, Ron, Neville, Albus, etc.).

          I hope this information helps.

          Ted

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
            At 10:49 AM -0500 9/16/99, THEODORE SHERMAN wrote:

            >The magic, witches, and wizards definitely are not portrayed
            >according to any sort
            >of realism. I think the names, titles of books and spells, and the
            >characters here
            >clearly show that the magical aspect is purely fantastic. There is
            >no neo-paganism
            >in the books that I can tell. That's why I have no objections
            >whatsoever. There are
            >battles between good and evil forces, or between the Dark Arts and
            >those opposed to
            >them. I also see elements of love, sacrifice, loyalty, honor, duty,
            >etc. in both
            >stories--and these seem to be qualities/values that embodied by the "good"
            >characters (Harry, Hermione, Ron, Neville, Albus, etc.).
            >
            >I hope this information helps.
            >
            >Ted

            Ted,
            It does indeed, thanks. Sounds like they are worth a read. I guess
            that the badgering that one can run into in other quarters, plus the
            massacre in Fort Worth last night put me in a mood for my response,
            and I appologize for any offense.

            --Steve
            ======================================
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
              At 1:49 PM -0700 9/16/99, Diane Baker wrote:
              >From: Diane Baker <dianejoy@...>
              >
              >I'm just learning a new communications program so if things look wierd, I
              >apologize.
              >You ask about the witch-craft in the Potter books. Not to worry;
              >it's fairy-tale
              >level, not a neo-pag in sight.

              Diane,
              No probs, I had major trouble telnetting to Bix today. These things
              happen on the Net.
              Ted indicated the same as you. Sounds like they may be fun books, and
              I'm always glad to hear of more (if my bank account isn't) And, I'll
              have a better idea of what to say when people ask me about them,
              which is something that can happen from time to time. I still run
              into people surprised to hear that Tolkien was a Christian.
              Considering that the Silmarillion has a profound effect on my
              becoming one, I am saddened and amused at the same time.

              --Steve
              ======================================
              It's 1999, where's Moonbase Alpha?
              ======================================
            • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
                After a bit of prodding, Little Harold has finally snagged the (still unread by
                me) copies of the books in the house. He's in the middle of Jeremy Thatcher,
                Dragon Hatcher, but that is proving to be a very fast read, as in he doesn't
                want to put the book down. So I should have report soon on a child's eye view of
                the Harry Potter books.

                JK Rowling is having a major literary event, complete with signing of the new
                book in a few weeks here in San Jose. Harold's teacher has tickets for sale. We
                are getting one (which lets in a child with adult).

                Will send in a report.

                He's also asking for the Narnia books. Going to have to find the kids' copies,
                someplace in the older bookcases. Or buy him his own set (cheap through
                Scholastic Books). Yes, Harold has taken to reading Children's Fantasy. I'm a
                happy mommy!

                Mythically yours,

                Lisa
              • Staci Dumoski
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
                  Hey, Lisa,

                  Could you tell me more about the J.K. Rowlings event here in San Jose?
                  I'm local, and would be interested in attending.

                  Thanks!

                  Staci Ann Dumoski Phantastes
                  Editor and Publisher "The Fantasy Writer's Guide"
                  editor@... http://www.phantastes.com
                • David Lenander
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
                    Claire loved Harry Potter (the first) and read it in one day. She's currently
                    reading her way through all of John Bellairs (except for the adult books, like
                    _Face in the Frost_, which I think I'll keep from her for a year or two,yet).

                    She'd like to read the next one, but I'm not willing to buy it in hardcover.
                    Unlike many of those on this list (apparently) I didn't think that highly of the
                    book. Very enjoyable, a quick and absorbing read, but it's popcorn for the
                    mind. Much is borrowed from several writers, especially Roald Dahl (and I would
                    say that Rowlings has a nicer imagination than he did), but I don't think the
                    first book (anyhow) has the integrity of the Dickens pastiche in _Charlie and
                    the Chocolate Factory_ or the sensitivity of _James and the Giant Peach_.
                    Similar books that are really much better books--at least for me--they stick to
                    the memory (instead of to the ribs) now when I can barely remember the Harry
                    Potter book, read only last year, (except for the badminton/soccor-in-the-air
                    game, which was a wonderful idea and marvelously portrayed), are the
                    Chrestomanci books of Diana Wynne Jones, especially _Witch Week_ and _Charmed
                    Life_. Jane Yolen also did a wizards' school book in _Wizards' Hall_, though
                    the masterpiece is Le Guin's _A Wizard of Earthsea_. (I'm sure I've read
                    others, but none come to mind immediately. There are many little books
                    featuring witch's schools, books that tend to get displayed in libraries around
                    Halloween). Le Guin's _Wizard_ isn't a fun and funny school story, though, like
                    some of these others.

                    I'd like to recommend the OTHER finalists for the Children's Mythopoeic Fantasy
                    Award this year, not only the winner, Wynne Jones' _Dark Lord of Derkholm_ which
                    is a wonderful story about the dynamics of a very unusual family of seven
                    children (don't be distracted by the framing plot device of a novelized _Tough
                    Guide to Fantasy Land_), but also _The Heavenward Path_, by Kara Dalkey, a
                    wonderful and even better sequel to the earlier book, _Little Sister_, set in
                    Japan where a demon befriends the Buddhist heroine; _Ella Enchanted_, by Gail
                    Carson Levine, which is far more than a retelling of "Cinderella," establishing
                    a whole secondary fantasy world on a fairy-tale premise and brings all the
                    characters to life in a very clever magical plot worthy of Diana Wynne Jones or
                    Margaret Mahy; and _The Squire's Tale_, by Gerald Morris, in which the author
                    attempts to rescue Gawaine from the Malory's calumnies in "Morte d'Arthur" by
                    telling Arthurian stories from a more Anglo-Saxon perspective, in the person of
                    a new character, a young, elfin squire for Gawaine, telling a story with
                    considerable grace, cleverness and insight. There is already a sequel, too.
                    In my opinion, all of these books were much superior to _Harry Potter_, in terms
                    of the writing and stories, and that's not to disparage _Harry_, which as I
                    mentioned, I much enjoyed, as did my 9-year-old daughter, Claire. I look
                    forward to borrowing the sequels from my public library or purchasing the
                    paperbacks. (I might break down if Claire keeps asking, but only if I can find
                    the bestseller on a really good sale).

                    I'd also put in a plug for some other recent books that Claire and I really
                    enjoyed, the _Boggart_ books of Susan Cooper, which I value over the overblown
                    and pretentious "Dark Is Rising" sequence, (though I have only praise for the
                    second and third books of the sequence, the title volume and _Greenwitch_), and
                    Claire seemed to enjoy Pullman's _Clockwork_, which is a fine tale in the
                    tradition of Tieck or Hoffman, though she stoutly insisted that it's not really
                    a *children's* book, the scene where the prince's heart was cut out was too
                    grotesque, apparently.

                    Responding to the message of <37E1414C.BDCBB80D@...>
                    from mythsoc@onelist.com:

                    > From: Lisa Deutsch Harrigan <lisa@...>
                    >
                    > After a bit of prodding, Little Harold has finally snagged the (still unread
                    > by
                    > me) copies of the books in the house. He's in the middle of Jeremy Thatcher,
                    > Dragon Hatcher, but that is proving to be a very fast read, as in he doesn't
                    > want to put the book down. So I should have report soon on a child's eye view
                    > of
                    > the Harry Potter books.
                    >
                    > JK Rowling is having a major literary event, complete with signing of the new
                    > book in a few weeks here in San Jose. Harold's teacher has tickets for sale.
                    > We
                    > are getting one (which lets in a child with adult).
                    >
                    > Will send in a report.
                    >
                    > He's also asking for the Narnia books. Going to have to find the kids'
                    > copies,
                    > someplace in the older bookcases. Or buy him his own set (cheap through
                    > Scholastic Books). Yes, Harold has taken to reading Children's Fantasy. I'm a
                    > happy mommy!
                    >
                    > Mythically yours,
                    >
                    > Lisa

                    > http://www.onelist.com/ad/gator1

                    > .
                  • Diane Baker
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999

                      Steve Schaper wrote:

                      > From: Steve Schaper <sschaper@...>
                      >
                      > At 10:15 AM -0500 9/16/99, THEODORE SHERMAN wrote:
                      > >
                      > >I see no moral problems with the stories thus far, though I'm sure many
                      > >Christians will object to the magic/wizards/witches. (My
                      > >sister-in-law objected
                      > >to the "benign" portrayal of witches and magic. Sigh.) Rowling uses the wizard
                      > >world and Hogwarts (wonderful name, that) as a wonderful vehicle to
                      > >express the
                      > >same kinds of problems that exist in the Muggle world. In other words, her
                      > >fantasy follows Tolkien's comments in "On Fairy-Stories" that true fantasy is
                      > >predicated on the fact (and assumption) that things really are as
                      > >they are under
                      > >the sun.
                      >
                      > As one of those hated Christians (there was another massacre of
                      > Christian youth last night in this country, the third, I think, in
                      > the past year), can you tell me about the character of the magic and
                      > witches portrayed in the books? Is it fairytale magic, or is it a
                      > portrayal of actual neo-pagan religious practice? Are the witches the
                      > figures of fairytales, or wiccan priestesses? I haven't read the
                      > books, and I'm curious to hear a hopefully non-prejudiced analysis.
                      > ======================================
                      > It's 1999, where's Moonbase Alpha?

                      > http://www.onelist.com/ad/gator1

                    • Matthew Winslow
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
                        I'm enjoying all this discussion of the Harry Potter books and have been
                        meaning to jump in, but have been too busy today. Finally got the time.

                        I've read the first two and just yesterday broke down and ordered v3 from
                        SFBC. (I say 'broke down' coz I'm in a 'no buy' zone right now till I get some
                        other book-reading commitments out of the way -- running out of room on my
                        bed-side table <g>).

                        The books feel to me like a cross btwn Dahl and Wodehouse -- but not the
                        Jeeves or Blandings Wodehouse, but the Wodehouse of the White Feather, the
                        early Wodehouse. And since I love Dahl and since I love the early Wodehouse
                        (no matter how poorly written tehy are), I naturally have been enjoying the
                        Potter books.

                        I somewhat agree with David Lenander that they're (so far) mostly brain candy,
                        but oh, what candy! These aren't circus peanuts, but Lindt chocolates. Sure
                        they add to the hips (or to the brain-fat), but they're worth it.

                        As to the points Mary brought up, I think one must immerse oneself in the
                        worldview of the Potter books and ignore the fact that we are Muggles. The
                        Muggles of the books are not *us* per se, but rather the backwards saps of
                        that fantasy world. I'm sure anyone wise enough to be a member of the
                        Mythopoeic Society would be a 'mud blood' at worst. <g>

                        "Be careful. You know what he's like after a few novels."
                        --M. Python
                        Currently reading: Collected Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges

                        Not responsible for the following ad, but I've played one on TV.
                      • Steve Schaper
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
                          At 3:20 PM -0500 9/16/99, David Lenander wrote:

                          >Chrestomanci books of Diana Wynne Jones, especially _Witch Week_ and _Charmed
                          >Life_.

                          What is chrestomancy? I've forgotten and I doubt my dictionary would list it.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
                            Hi

                            This is what I know. It is being sponsored by Hicklebee's Children's Books in
                            Willow Glen and the Santa Clara County Reading Council. Harold's teacher, Mrs.
                            Funke, is a member of the Reading Council.

                            To get tickets from Hicklebee's you needed to stand in a long line (some people
                            for days), to get a chance at a ticket. This is Star Wars on a a literary scale,
                            folks! It got coverage in the newspaper and on local TV and everything. For a
                            Book! Yeah!

                            The event itself is taking place at the Willow Glen High School (renamed
                            Hogwarts School for the occasion <g>) Cafeteria on October 28 at 6:30 pm.
                            Tickets are $20 and include a copy of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
                            which J.K. Rowling will sign.

                            Major Note: They strongly recommend that you bring a child. This event is for
                            children. We adult fans must find a child is necessary. Rent a niece or nephew
                            or neighbor's kid if needed. But please bring a kid! Scholastic and the SCCRC
                            want to encourage kids to read, that is the function of this book
                            reading/signing.

                            Luckily, as a mom, I come fully equipped.

                            Mrs. Funke still has a few tickets. E-mail me privately if you want to go.

                            For those of you in the rest of the country, see if your local Children's
                            Bookstore is sponsoring a reading/signing. Scholastic seems to be working with
                            Children's Bookstores and Literacy Groups.

                            Yours in service to Fandom

                            Lisa

                          • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
                              In a message dated 9/16/99 4:32:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
                              mwinslow@... writes:

                              > I think one must immerse oneself in the
                              > worldview of the Potter books and ignore the fact that we are Muggles

                              Hey, maybe YOU're a Muggle! Speak for yourself [superior smile]

                              Mary S
                            • Diane Baker
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
                                It appears you've raised the little guy right;� Narnia's one I didn't discover until
                                college.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 17, 1999
                                  In a message dated 9/16/99 3:55:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
                                  d-lena@... writes:

                                  > I'm not willing to buy it in hardcover.
                                  > Unlike many of those on this list (apparently) I didn't think that highly
                                  of
                                  > the
                                  > book.

                                  Hey David, I got it from the =library=! Precious few are the books I am
                                  willing to buy in hardcover.

                                  Scottishly,

                                  Mary S
                                • THEODORE SHERMAN
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 17, 1999
                                    I got 'em in hardcover at 40 & 50% off retail. I bought 'em at Sam's Club.

                                    Ted