Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien's 'Kortirion'

  • JP Massar
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2002
      At 08:53 PM 9/25/02 +0200, Vincent Ferré wrote:
      >Good evening,
      >
      >We are translating Tolkien's Letters in French, and I have a problem of
      >context with 'Kortirion among the Trees' : the introductory note for
      >Letter n°3 says :
      >"The poem describes a 'fading town upon a little hill,' where 'linger yet
      >the Lonely Companies...'".
      >Does anyone know what "fading" means/refers to here ?

      I would interpret it as a town that is slowly losing its population
      and economic viability; losing its vitality.

      I don't think 'fading' in this context refers to the overall 'fading of the
      Elves'
      as eventually happens to them all in Middle-Earth, but it could suggest
      that as well.
    • Vincent Ferré
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 28, 2002
        Thanks very much
        That's also what I thought, but I wanted to be sure.

        cheers,
        Vincent