[mythsoc] Tolkien's 'Kortirion'

  • Vincent Ferré
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2002
      Good evening,

      We are translating Tolkien's Letters in French, and I have a problem of context with 'Kortirion among the Trees' : the introductory note for Letter n°3 says :
      "The poem describes a 'fading town upon a little hill,' where 'linger yet the Lonely Companies...'".
      Does anyone know what "fading" means/refers to here ?

      Thanks in advance !
      Vincent

    • JP Massar
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25, 2002
        At 08:53 PM 9/25/02 +0200, Vincent Ferré wrote:
        >Good evening,
        >
        >We are translating Tolkien's Letters in French, and I have a problem of
        >context with 'Kortirion among the Trees' : the introductory note for
        >Letter n°3 says :
        >"The poem describes a 'fading town upon a little hill,' where 'linger yet
        >the Lonely Companies...'".
        >Does anyone know what "fading" means/refers to here ?

        I would interpret it as a town that is slowly losing its population
        and economic viability; losing its vitality.

        I don't think 'fading' in this context refers to the overall 'fading of the
        Elves'
        as eventually happens to them all in Middle-Earth, but it could suggest
        that as well.
      • Vincent Ferré
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 28, 2002
          Thanks very much
          That's also what I thought, but I wanted to be sure.

          cheers,
          Vincent