Re: [mythsoc] re: Tolkien rationalizations

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 25, 2002
      At 09:34 AM 9/25/2002 , JP Massar wrote:

      >>Since Morgoth (which means "Enemy") was not the name that being started out
      >>with, one can presume the same of Sauron (knowing what that means), even if
      >>we don't know what earlier name he might have had. In many of Tolkien's
      >>First Age papers, Sauron is referred to as Gorthaur and Thu, but these too
      >>are Elvish epithets with rude meanings.
      >
      >Gorthaur is the Sindarin translation of Sauron.

      I don't have the books in front of me, but I've seen "Gorthaur" translated
      as "abominable dread", which puts us back where we started.

      >I don't think 'Thu' is used in the Silmarillion, only in earlier works.

      Which is why I wrote "many of Tolkien's First Age papers" and not "_The
      Silmarillion_."

      >It could be
      >Sauron's 'real' name or it could just be a name Tolkein later abandoned.

      No, it's another rude Elvish epithet.

      - David Bratman
    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 25, 2002
        >>I don't think 'Thu' is used in the Silmarillion, only in earlier works.

        >Which is why I wrote "many of Tolkien's First Age papers" and not "_The
        >Silmarillion_."

        >>It could be
        >>Sauron's 'real' name or it could just be a name Tolkein later abandoned.

        >No, it's another rude Elvish epithet.

        >David Bratman

        What does "Thu" mean? ---djb

        http://mail2web.com/ .