One Ring Inscription

  • mjrksr
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 23, 2002
      Does anyone here know of a web site or any other source of a sizeable
      image of the inscription on the One Ring, especially one which could
      be printed out as a banner?

      Thanks,

      MJ
    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 23, 2002
        Actually, I have another question about this. At the beginning of TWO TOWERS, when Aragorn and Gimli and Legolas find the slain orcs with the "S" rune, Legolas says that the S can't stand for Sauron becuase Sauron doesn't use elvish runes. But the ring inscription is in elvish! Does anyone have a nifty way to reconcile this contradiction?

        Thanks,
        Susan
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 23, 2002
          At 04:38 PM 9/23/2002 , MJ wrote:
          >Does anyone here know of a web site or any other source of a sizeable
          >image of the inscription on the One Ring, especially one which could
          >be printed out as a banner?

          Perhaps at the film site? http://www.lordoftherings.net/

          But why would you want one? If you've read the book, you'll know that the
          Ring inscription is evil.

          At 05:20 PM 9/23/2002 , Susan wrote:
          >Actually, I have another question about this. At the beginning of TWO
          >TOWERS, when Aragorn and Gimli and Legolas find the slain orcs with the "S"
          >rune, Legolas says that the S can't stand for Sauron becuase Sauron doesn't
          >use elvish runes. But the ring inscription is in elvish! Does anyone have
          >a nifty way to reconcile this contradiction?

          I don't have the book in front of me, but I do recall the wording,
          consistent with your paraphrase, as "Sauron does not use the elf-runes."

          In that case the contradiction is easily explained: the Ring inscription's
          characters are not runes, but Tengwar, a totally different alphabet. (Its
          language is not Elvish at all, but the Black Speech.)

          A more serious contradiction comes in the next phrase, which (again
          according to my recollection) is "nor does he use his right name, nor
          permit it to be spelt or spoken."

          Even leaving aside the doubtful question of whether "Sauron" is in fact his
          right name, there is the emissary in Book 5 who comes out of the Black Gate
          and says, "I am the Mouth of Sauron."

          - David Bratman
        • Margaret Dean
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 23, 2002
            SusanPal@... wrote:

            > Actually, I have another question about this. At the beginning of TWO
            > TOWERS, when Aragorn and Gimli and Legolas find the slain orcs with
            > the "S" rune, Legolas says that the S can't stand for Sauron becuase
            > Sauron doesn't use elvish runes. But the ring inscription is in elvish!
            > Does anyone have a nifty way to reconcile this contradiction?

            Besides what David mentioned, that the Ring-inscription is in
            Tengwar rather than runes (certar), Gandalf implies in "The
            Shadow of the Past" that Sauron was forced to use the elvish
            letters for the inscription because "they have no letters in
            Mordor for such subtle work" (OWTTE). The language, of course,
            is not Elvish but Black Speech.

            --Margaret Dean
            <margdean@...>
          • SusanPal@aol.com