Re: casting games & Happy Birthday, Bilbo & Frodo

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 20, 2002
      I'm with Wendell on what I would've expected. I like the idea of Susan
      Sarandon, or (a few years/decades back) how about Vanessa Redgrave? I've
      never really tried to play this game, maybe I just don't know movies and
      actresses enough. But it's occurred to me that you could also play the game
      trying to pick really ill-suited actors for the parts. What inspired this
      idea was a sudden vision of Bette Midler belting out Galadriel's song of
      farewell. Maybe that's been done.

      Every now and then I realize that people have joined this list without
      knowing that the Mythopoeic Society also loosely networks local discussion
      groups (as well as a few other lists, like the Coinherence list mentioned
      recently, and the two apas, Butterbur's Woodshed & Once Upon a Time). The
      group in the twin cities, Minnesota, is watching the movie and talking about
      it and other Things Tolkien on Saturday afternoon, 9/21, at our annual
      Baggins Birthday Party (Sept. 22 is the Birthday, but we generally meet on
      Saturdays). I don't know of other MythSoc groups celebrating the birthday
      this year, but they meet regularly in places like Washington, D.C., San
      Jose, CA, and Hawaii to talk about books, with the most recently added
      groups in Washington state, Oregon and Iowa. For links to Discussion Groups
      information you can go to the Society web-page at mythsoc.org. I did learn
      of a Birthday party in the L.A. area not being sponsored by the MythSoc on
      TheOneRing.net web-page, I think it's on Sunday. I will put a mention on my
      Birthday Party web-page, but haven't done so as of this note.

      mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:--

      David Lenander,

      Phone: work: (612)626-3375 fax: (612)626-2454 home: (651)292-8887

      e-mail: d-lena@... web-page: http://umn.edu/~d-lena/Hobbirth.html
    • Croft, Janet B
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 20, 2002
        snip - But it's occurred to me that you could also play the game
        trying to pick really ill-suited actors for the parts. What inspired this
        idea was a sudden vision of Bette Midler belting out Galadriel's song of
        farewell. Maybe that's been done. -snip

        Nicholas Cage as Pippin!

        : ) Janet Croft

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=229441.2336363.3766536.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
        27:HM/A=1189558/R=0/*http://www.bmgmusic.com/acq/ee/q6/enroll/mhn/9/>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=229441.2336363.3766536.1261774/D=egroupmai
        l/S=:HM/A=1189558/rand=385005691>

        <http://www.mythsoc.org>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • jamcconney@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 20, 2002
          In a message dated 9/20/2002 12:37:28 PM Central Daylight Time,
          d-lena@... writes:

          > the Coinherence list mentioned
          > recently

          Yes, someone suggested this list and I tried to join. It shows up on Google
          but every time I tried to subscribe, I got a notice that no such list
          existed. If anybody knows what I'm doing wrong, I'd welcome any suggestions.
          I've tried every configuration I can think of.

          Anne

        • SusanPal@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 20, 2002
            In a message dated 9/20/2002 11:14:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
            jbcroft@... writes:

            > Nicholas Cage as Pippin!

            Sean Penn as Boromir.

            SP

          • Croft, Janet B
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 20, 2002
              Vincent Gardenia as Denethor.

              Janet

              jbcroft@... writes:

              > Nicholas Cage as Pippin!

              Sean Penn as Boromir.

              SP

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=229441.2336363.3766536.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
              27:HM/A=1189560/R=0/*http://www.bmgmusic.com/acq/ee/q6/enroll/mhn/10/>

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=229441.2336363.3766536.1261774/D=egroupmai
              l/S=:HM/A=1189560/rand=674160163>

              <http://www.mythsoc.org>

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • David S. Bratman
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 20, 2002
                At 01:03 PM 9/20/2002 , Anne wrote:

                >> the Coinherence list mentioned
                >> recently
                >
                >Yes, someone suggested this list and I tried to join. It shows up on Google
                >but every time I tried to subscribe, I got a notice that no such list
                >existed. If anybody knows what I'm doing wrong, I'd welcome any suggestions.
                >I've tried every configuration I can think of.

                Did you try using "coinherence-l"? That's the actual list. I see there's also
                a listing for "coinherence" but that's not it, it's a reference to an off-site
                version of the list that may or may not still exist.

                Backup plan: Just send an e-mail message to
                coinherence-l-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                Further backup plan: Send a query to the list owner at
                coinherence-l-owner@yahoogroups.com

                - David Bratman
              • jamcconney@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 20, 2002
                  Thanks, David--I'll try that

                  Anne
                • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 23, 2002
                    Tiny Tim as Aragorn; Mr. T. as Elrond.

                    jbcroft@... writes:

                    > Nicholas Cage as Pippin!

                    Sean Penn as Boromir.

                    SP

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=229441.2336363.3766536.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
                    27:HM/A=1189560/R=0/*http://www.bmgmusic.com/acq/ee/q6/enroll/mhn/10/>

                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=229441.2336363.3766536.1261774/D=egroupmai
                    l/S=:HM/A=1189560/rand=674160163>

                    <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    http://mail2web.com/ .
                  • Croft, Janet B
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 23, 2002
                      Reese Witherpoon as Arwen. Wearing pink, natch.
                      Harvey Korman as Denethor.

                      Janet

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 23, 2002
                        In a message dated Mon, 23 Sep 2002 12:53:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, dianejoy@... writes:

                        > Tiny Tim as Aragorn; Mr. T. as Elrond.

                        Tim Burton as Saruman.

                        Susan
                      • SusanPal@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 23, 2002
                          In a message dated Mon, 23 Sep 2002 1:29:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, jbcroft@... writes:

                          > Reese Witherpoon as Arwen. Wearing pink, natch.

                          Shades of The Secret Diaries -- "I went to the Gap of Rohan, but there IS no Gap in Rohan! There isn't even a Banana Republic!"

                          James Marsters from Buffy as Grima. Tee-hee!

                          Susan