Re: [mythsoc] Casting Game

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 17, 2002
      We can talk about the film and might have been casting. MythSoc played
      casting games for years. Why not now?

      I agree, David Bowie would have made an interesting Elrond. I can see
      him in the costume and wig they gave Weaving. And, although he's a good
      singer, his acting has never struck me as deep/complex. Plus a piece of
      me would tend to break into songs from Labyrinth when least expected
      <g>. Let's face it, he did a variant on the roll which much better
      suited to him when he played Goblin King in Labyrinth. I think that
      pretty much ended his chance for Elrond. I'm glad he did the Goblin King
      though.

      I actually like Blanchett as Galadriel. But I'm willing to talk about
      other options.

      I really don't know how I expected Orthanc to look. That's one of those
      things that didn't create a strong visual picture for me. I should
      probably reread that part of the book again, to see if anything shows
      up. Until then I can live with the movie version.

      Mythically yours,
      Lisa

      odzer@... wrote:

      >Is it true that David Bowie wanted to be cast as Elrond, or is that another
      >legend? Oh, he would have been nearly perfect, in as much as any actor could
      >be cast...well, others may vehemently disagree, but I think he would have
      >been interesting...handsome, wise, graceful, noble, sophisticated, profound,
      >delicate yet strong, and of course, unusual looking.(though are elves really
      >delicate, this seems a dubious reading and I know Tolkien loudly objected to
      >it being construed as a dominent characteristic of elves, it comes up in one,
      >nay, several letters, I recall)
      >Opps, now I am talking about the film, and are we not supposed to keep that
      >to a minimum here? Then I better not go on with retroactive nominations for
      >Galadriel...

    • Pauline J. Alama
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 18, 2002
        I think David Bowie could be good as all sorts of unearthly characters, because he so easily makes you believe he's not quite human. Maybe he really is the King of the Goblins. ;-)

        I would have liked to see Michael O'Hare (Sinclair from Babylon 5) as Aragorn. I thought the movie Aragorn was OK, but I pictured someone older and grimmer-looking, with darker coloring. Michael O'Hare as Sinclair spent a lot of time looking haunted (as required by a role where mysterious aliens keep telling you "There's a hole in your mind") or grimly resolved in the face of overwhelming odds. And yet with it all a certain kindness shone through. The creator of Babylon 5 may even have had something of the sort in mind when he cast the character of Sinclair, who becomes the leader of a sort of military order called the "Rangers."

        As I think others have commented, the movie's Aragorn & Boromir were a little too similar in appearance. I would like them to be ini sharp contrast. And I'll bet some of you will hate my choice for Boromir: Kevin Sorbo (of Hercules, the Legendary Journeys). My concept of Boromir is that in a more conventional adventure story, he would have been the hero: the warrior-adventurer, the blond, muscular firstborn nobleman who has spent many years bravely holding the line against the forces of evil by the might of the sword. By making him a failed hero and even for one crucial moment a traitor, Tolkien made a statement about the flaw inherent in this conventional concept of heroism (a sort of heroism he'd seen disastrously put to the test in WWI). I would want to make Boromir look as much like a conventional, muscular hero as possible -- even, like body-builder Sorbo, almost to the point of caricature. And audiences are so used to seeing Sorbo play a 24-carat good guy as Hercules that I think seeing Boromir's treason would have shaken the audience a bit. As I think it ought to. One of my biggest disagreements with the movie (which on the whole I enjoyed) was that it made Boromir's treason too easy to spot a mile off, and not enough of a jolt when it finally happened.

        I'm not sure who I would have wanted to see as Galadriel. I thought Blanchett was OK, but I didn't always like what the screenplay selected & didn't select for her lines, and I hated the FX during her temptation scene. I think Winona Ryder might have made an interresting Arwen. She always looks kind of otherworldly to me.

        Pauline

        Pauline J. Alama
        http://www.geocities.com/paulinejalama/paulinealama.html
        THE EYE OF NIGHT
        (Bantam Spectra, July 2002)

        > We can talk about the film and might have been casting. MythSoc played
        > casting games for years. Why not now?
        >
        > I agree, David Bowie would have made an interesting Elrond. I can see
        > him in the costume and wig they gave Weaving. And, although he's a good
        > singer, his acting has never struck me as deep/complex. Plus a piece of
        > me would tend to break into songs from Labyrinth when least expected
        > . Let's face it, he did a variant on the roll which much better
        > suited to him when he played Goblin King in Labyrinth. I think that
        > pretty much ended his chance for Elrond. I'm glad he did the Goblin King
        > though.
        >
        > I actually like Blanchett as Galadriel. But I'm willing to talk about
        > other options.
        >
        > I really don't know how I expected Orthanc to look. That's one of those
        > things that didn't create a strong visual picture for me. I should
        > probably reread that part of the book again, to see if anything shows
        > up. Until then I can live with the movie version.
        >
        > Mythically yours,
        > Lisa
        >
        > odzer@... wrote:
        >
        > >Is it true that David Bowie wanted to be cast as Elrond, or is that
        > another
        > >legend? Oh, he would have been nearly perfect, in as much as any actor
        > could
        > >be cast...well, others may vehemently disagree, but I think he would
        > have
        > >been interesting...handsome, wise, graceful, noble, sophisticated,
        > profound,
        > >delicate yet strong, and of course, unusual looking.(though are elves
        > really
        > >delicate, this seems a dubious reading and I know Tolkien loudly
        > objected to
        > >it being construed as a dominent characteristic of elves, it comes up
        > in one,
        > >nay, several letters, I recall)
        > >Opps, now I am talking about the film, and are we not supposed to keep
        > that
        > >to a minimum here? Then I better not go on with retroactive
        > nominations for
        > >Galadriel...

      • Croft, Janet B
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 18, 2002
          Kevin Sorbo as Boromir -- interesting choice, and you've got some convincing
          reasons. I think you're right that Boromir should be the big blond
          muscle-bound hero -- Aragorn should in contrast be less "bulgey" and more
          the unobtrusive guy you don't suspect of having all that strength until it's
          too late -- capable of blending into the background in a pub, for example.
          (Can't see Boromir doing undercover work.) Like Achilles and Odysseus,
          maybe. And didn't Sorbo do a fairly good "evil mirror-universe Hercules" now
          and then? He could probably do a creditable job with Boromir's temptation
          scene.

          Now his short sidekick Iolaus (Michael Hurst) might have made a good Sam --
          all bounce and cockiness and lots of emotion. Lucy Lawless gone blonde as
          Eowyn? :) (I'd prefer Xenowyn to Xenarwen!) Have to have a pretty tall guy
          for Faramir... So having access to all these Down Under actors, I wonder
          why Jackson didn't use any of them? Too recognizable? Too bad Kevin Smith
          (Ares) died -- I'm not sure who I'd cast him as, but what a great evil
          scenery-chewer. Too young for Saruman, alas, but maybe with a good wig he'd
          have managed....

          Getting out of the Hercules universe, Bowie would have made an intriguing
          Elrond -- and wouldn't have had those "Agent Smith" associations Hugo
          Weaving did. (It would have helped if Weaving didn't look like the smell of
          humans was about to gag him!) How about Susan Sarandon as Galadriel? Those
          eyes give her a sort of other-worldly luminosity. And she has the maturity
          -- I'd believe her if she said she was thousands of years old. I'd believe
          Bowie, too. Sarandon's intensity could have been quite frightening in the
          Mirror scene without any special effects.

          Janet Croft

          > We can talk about the film and might have been casting. MythSoc played
          > casting games for years. Why not now?
          >
          > I agree, David Bowie would have made an interesting Elrond. I can see
          > him in the costume and wig they gave Weaving. And, although he's a good
          > singer, his acting has never struck me as deep/complex. Plus a piece of
          > me would tend to break into songs from Labyrinth when least expected
          > . Let's face it, he did a variant on the roll which much better
          > suited to him when he played Goblin King in Labyrinth. I think that
          > pretty much ended his chance for Elrond. I'm glad he did the Goblin King
          > though.
          >
          > I actually like Blanchett as Galadriel. But I'm willing to talk about
          > other options.
          >
          > I really don't know how I expected Orthanc to look. That's one of those
          > things that didn't create a strong visual picture for me. I should
          > probably reread that part of the book again, to see if anything shows
          > up. Until then I can live with the movie version.
          >
          > Mythically yours,
          > Lisa
          >
          > odzer@... wrote:
          >
          > >Is it true that David Bowie wanted to be cast as Elrond, or is that
          > another
          > >legend? Oh, he would have been nearly perfect, in as much as any actor
          > could
          > >be cast...well, others may vehemently disagree, but I think he would
          > have
          > >been interesting...handsome, wise, graceful, noble, sophisticated,
          > profound,
          > >delicate yet strong, and of course, unusual looking.(though are elves
          > really
          > >delicate, this seems a dubious reading and I know Tolkien loudly
          > objected to
          > >it being construed as a dominent characteristic of elves, it comes up
          > in one,
          > >nay, several letters, I recall)
          > >Opps, now I am talking about the film, and are we not supposed to keep
          > that
          > >to a minimum here? Then I better not go on with retroactive
          > nominations for
          > >Galadriel...

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2377872.3808768.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
          27:HM/A=1225247/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4547223;7007303;y?http://
          www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=234081.2377872.3808768.2225242/D=egroupmai
          l/S=:HM/A=1225247/rand=681919833>

          <http://www.mythsoc.org>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 18, 2002
            In a message dated 9/17/2002 6:07:24 PM Central Daylight Time,
            lisa@... writes:

            > I really don't know how I expected Orthanc to look. That's one of those
            > things that didn't create a strong visual picture for me. I should
            > probably reread that part of the book again, to see if anything shows
            > up. Until then I can live with the movie version.

            Now that I think abt it, Tolkien may have drawn a picture of it ?

            Diamond Proudbrook

          • SusanPal@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 18, 2002
              In a message dated 9/18/2002 8:49:15 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
              writes:

              > Now that I think abt it, Tolkien may have drawn a picture of it ?

              Yes -- I believe it's in the back of the END OF THE THIRD AGE.

              Susan

            • Margaret Dean
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 18, 2002
                SusanPal@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 9/18/2002 8:49:15 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
                > writes:
                >
                > > Now that I think abt it, Tolkien may have drawn a picture of it ?
                >
                > Yes -- I believe it's in the back of the END OF THE THIRD AGE.

                Tolkien in fact drew =several= pictures of it. Quickly checking
                my copy of J.R.R. TOLKIEN: ARTIST AND ILLUSTRATOR, I find no
                fewer than three different sketches, suggesting that it took a
                while for Tolkien himself to work out exactly what the tower
                looked like.

                --Margaret Dean
                <margdean@...>
              • Stolzi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 18, 2002
                  In a message dated 9/18/2002 9:32:14 AM Central Daylight Time, jbcroft@...
                  writes:

                  > Too young for Saruman, alas, but maybe with a good wig he'd
                  > have managed....

                  I commended John Rhys-Davies' Gimli here a few days ago. I shd also say that
                  McKellen as Gandalf never puts a foot wrong. GREAT performance.

                  However, speaking of wigs, in one scene I was about to move my allegiance
                  over to Saruman - just for having nice clean hair. There was a close-up of
                  McKellen's head, and this was, iirc, =before= Saruman started to wipe up the
                  floor with him - and his hair was so dirty and greasy and matted-looking and
                  unkempt, I went YECCCH.

                  Diamond Proudbrook

                • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 18, 2002
                    I figured Jackson didn't trust Blanchett to create the effect he was after,
                    so added all the SPFX. In that case, why did he cast her? To my mind, she
                    would have been perfectly capable of delivering the lines asked of her in
                    the temptation scene; it's ultimately Jackson's fault that there are SPFX.

                    I nominate Marjorie Monnaghan (from Babylon 5) as Eowyn. ---djb

                    http://mail2web.com/ .
                  • Old.Ghost@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 18, 2002
                      <de-lurking for a moment>

                      mythsoc@yahoogroups.com writes:
                      > From: "Pauline J. Alama" <PJAlama@...>
                      > Subject: Re: Casting Game
                      > As I think others have commented, the movie's Aragorn & Boromir were
                      > a little too similar in appearance. I would like them to be in
                      > sharp contrast.

                      Actually, I rather liked the way it was done. As someone elsewhere
                      remarked, you could tell that Aragorn and Boromir were from the same
                      clan, both of them harkening back to what Men once were before the
                      dissipation of the race (stronger, more long-lived, etc.). They were
                      similar enough to satisfy the need to show that Aragorn's line was once
                      ruler of Boromir's people, and different enough to show that while
                      Aragorn's line remained true to its purpose, Boromir's had (one might
                      say) "fallen away from the true path".

                      > concept of Boromir is that in a more conventional adventure story,
                      > he would have been the hero: the warrior-adventurer, the blond,
                      > muscular firstborn nobleman who has spent many years bravely holding
                      > the line against the forces of evil by the might of the sword. By
                      > making him a failed hero and even for one crucial moment a traitor,
                      > Tolkien made a statement about the flaw inherent in this
                      > conventional concept of heroism (a sort of heroism he'd seen
                      > disastrously put to the test in WWI).

                      <snip>

                      > it made Boromir's treason too easy to spot a mile off, and not
                      > enough of a jolt when it finally happened.

                      This is what I think Sean Bean managed to pull off very well. His
                      Boromir had fought the monsters for too long and, in doing so, became
                      (just for that crucial instant) the monster. But for a movie, I think
                      you *have* to be able to see that potential in the eyes (and with
                      foreshadowing) before it happens or it falls flat. In a book, you don't
                      have the eyes and you can do it another way. The movie keeps going and
                      you can't stop it to consider what you've seen (unless it's on video) so
                      it has to be made plain enough to be caught the first time. In a book,
                      you can take your time, as with a fine wine, and savor and consider each
                      part before moving on. If Boromir *had* been the "He-Man, Master of the
                      Universe" type who suddenly for no reason turns on the Fellowship, I
                      probably would've hated it.

                      > I'm not sure who I would have wanted to see as Galadriel.

                      My one quibble is that too many roles were played by actors with known
                      reputations. For me, it makes it harder to suspend the disbelief when I
                      know John Rhys-Davies is Gimli or Liv Tyler is Arwen. Yes, I can
                      appreciate their acting talents, but always in the back of my mind, I
                      don't see Arwen, I see Tyler ... I don't see Boromir, I see Sean Bean,
                      etc.

                      ~ Old Ghost
                      (who, by the way, is taking a course in "Modern Fantasy" this semester
                      ... if anyone is interested)

                      <re-lurking>

                      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 18, 2002
                        In a message dated 9/18/2002 10:32:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                        jbcroft@... writes:

                        > So having access to all these Down Under actors, I wonder
                        > why Jackson didn't use any of them?
                        >
                        > How about Susan Sarandon as Galadriel?

                        He did use some Down Under actors. Both Cate Blanchett and Hugo Weaving are
                        Australian.

                        In my casting of the film from years ago, I always saw Galadriel as being
                        played by some bombshell 50-ish or maybe 60-ish actress. Susan Sarandon was
                        one possibility I had thought of. I also considered Francesca Annis,
                        Catherine Deneuve, and Jane Fonda.

                      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 19, 2002
                          Maybe Kathleen Turner?

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 20, 2002
                            How about Nana Visitor -- Kira on ST:DS9 -- as Eowyn? Petite but a nasty
                            fighter...I can see her taking the head off a Nazgul, no problem!

                            And for the less serious casting game, Armin Shimerman as Legolas!

                            Janet "doing anything to avoid real work on a Friday aftermoon" Croft

                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 20, 2002
                                Hey, how about Sigourney Weaver as Eowyn? Or Galadriel, for that matter?
                                (We know she looks okay in a blonde wig; she played being blonde as comedy in
                                GalaxyQuest, and I'm sure could do it seriously in FotR. And she's got the
                                cheekbones.)

                                This is too much fun. Back to work!

                                Susan
                              • David S. Bratman
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 20, 2002
                                  At 02:28 PM 9/20/2002 , Lisa wrote:
                                  >And people thought the casting game was over when the movies came out <g>.

                                  I certainly did. *sigh*
                                • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 23, 2002
                                    wish I'd thought of Sigourney. One of my favorite actresses. She'd be
                                    terrif in either part. ---djb