a tower of stone called Orthanc/volcanic remains

  • odzer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2002
      In a message dated 9/17/02 10:03:02 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com writes:

      >a tower of stone called Orthanc

      I love the -theory- that it is the basalt(?) remainder of a lava tube inside
      an ancient volcanic caldera, which forms the circle of Isengard..oh now I
      must look up that article in... "Proceedings of the Tolkien Centenary
      Conference?"
      Since some of the authors of papers in that collection are here, perhaps
      they can clarify this? The papers on possible geological underpinnings for
      the map of middle earth are great fun, and made for even further respect for
      Tolkien's depth and breadth of insight and instinct for plausibility/well
      founded/integrated story telling.

      >looking at Blanchett and Weaving, though, I wonder: is it a concept that
      elves, to show that they're strange, should also be ugly?

      Is it true that David Bowie wanted to be cast as Elrond, or is that another
      legend? Oh, he would have been nearly perfect, in as much as any actor could
      be cast...well, others may vehemently disagree, but I think he would have
      been interesting...handsome, wise, graceful, noble, sophisticated, profound,
      delicate yet strong, and of course, unusual looking.(though are elves really
      delicate, this seems a dubious reading and I know Tolkien loudly objected to
      it being construed as a dominent characteristic of elves, it comes up in one,
      nay, several letters, I recall)
      Opps, now I am talking about the film, and are we not supposed to keep that
      to a minimum here? Then I better not go on with retroactive nominations for
      Galadriel...

      John