Re: Rhys-Davies et al.

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 9, 1999
      tedsherman@... writes:

      > Rhys-Davies is a wonderful actor; but I wish they had signed him on for
      > Boromir
      > rather than Gimli.

      Ted, if R-D was born in 1944, he's a lot older than Boromir would be...
      though casting decisions seem very flexible wrt age.

      Mary S
    • THEODORE SHERMAN
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 9, 1999
        Umm, well you're right, Mary, but I don't think that really applies, does it.
        After all, they've signed on Elijah Wood, who can't be older than 22, to play
        Frodo, who, as we all know, is much older than 22.

        Rhys-Davies is an actor with a commanding presence and beautiful booming
        voice (which would also have been wonderful for a Treebeard voiceover). I
        just don't see how they're going to shrink him down well enough to fit the
        bill for Gimli. I still think he'd be a much better Boromir--or perhaps even
        Aragorn.

        Ted

        Stolzi@... wrote:

        > From: Stolzi@...
        >
        > In a message dated 9/9/99 8:44:10 PM Central Daylight Time,
        > tedsherman@... writes:
        >
        > > Rhys-Davies is a wonderful actor; but I wish they had signed him on for
        > > Boromir
        > > rather than Gimli.
        >
        > Ted, if R-D was born in 1944, he's a lot older than Boromir would be...
        > though casting decisions seem very flexible wrt age.
        >
        > Mary S

        > Show your ONElist SPIRIT!
        > With a new ONElist SHIRT available through our website.

        Prof. Theodore James Sherman
        6545 Dynasty Drive
        Murfreesboro, TN 37128
      • d.bratman@xxxxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 9, 1999
          Mary S wrote:

          >Ted, if R-D was born in 1944, he's a lot older than Boromir would be...
          >though casting decisions seem very flexible wrt age.

          Boromir was 40, though he should perhaps look a little younger, because
          of that touch of Numenorean blood.

          Frodo was, as Ted observes, older than 22. He was 50, but he should
          probably be thought of, in human terms, as being about 35. I find it
          useful, rather in the manner of calculating Dog Years, to understand
          hobbit psychology a bit better by the trick of mentally multiplying their
          ages by .7 or .75. The average hobbit lifespan of 100 becomes 70-75,
          Frodo becomes in his late 30s, the unusually high "coming of age" of 33
          becomes a more understandable 23, and the 29-year-old Pippin becomes a
          kid of 20.

          By the way, the best web site for checking out movie and tv credits
          is www.imdb.com. I visit it almost every time I've just seen a film,
          to find out if and where I've seen its actors before. Sometimes the
          answers surprise me.

          David Bratman
        • Daffyd ap Morgen
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 10, 1999
            At 02:41 AM 9/10/1999 GMT, you wrote:

            >By the way, the best web site for checking out movie and tv credits
            >is www.imdb.com. I visit it almost every time I've just seen a film,
            >to find out if and where I've seen its actors before. Sometimes the
            >answers surprise me.

            Greetings;

            Daffyd ap Morgen here; just joined the list.

            Another good web site is Ain't It Cool News
            http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/

            The person running the site is a friend of Peter Jackson. PJ will
            occsionally answer fan questions at this site and confirm or dispell rumors
            about the LotR movie.

            Daffyd ap Morgen
          • Diane Baker
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 10, 1999
              Daffyd ap Morgen wrote:

              > From: Daffyd ap Morgen <daffyd@...>
              >
              > At 02:41 AM 9/10/1999 GMT, you wrote:
              >
              > >By the way, the best web site for checking out movie and tv credits
              > >is www.imdb.com. I visit it almost every time I've just seen a film,
              > >to find out if and where I've seen its actors before. Sometimes the
              > >answers surprise me.
              >
              > Greetings;
              >
              > Daffyd ap Morgen here; just joined the list.
              >

              > Daffyd ap Morgen

              Welcome to the list! ---djb.
            • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 18, 1999
                Almost forgot to post this, and it's late now, but they're repeating for
                Pacific, I think: If you get Sci-Fi channel, there's a couple of movies on
                tonight with Rhys-Davies, who's slated to be Gimli.

                Mary S