Re: Digest Number 992

  • Steve Law
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 13, 2002
      Christine wrote:
      "To my amazement, the reading and studying I had
      started seemed only to be the little gate in to a
      road I would never have time to take the whole way
      through. Every writer referred me to a dozen more,
      every class deepened the perspective. The emotional
      joy is something which I look forward to on occasions,
      but the intellectual grasp is what sustains me between
      and heightens the joy. For me, the two met in the
      middle and held each other which seems the best
      evidence possible of genuine truth."

      Thanks Christine. I didn't mean to imply that there
      isn't a strong intellectual aspect to Christianity,
      just that in addition there's a visionary / emotional
      aspect which seems essential to understanding the full
      picture. Having learnt the skills necessary to grasp
      modern philosophies which don't require anything other
      than brain-power (and in fact forbid or actively
      discourage any subjective interpretation or response),
      I find Christian thought more relevant to my whole
      self, more encompassing, and therefore much more
      challenging.

      There's a certain irrational fear I feel, that if I
      read too many chapters of "Mere Christianity" I'll
      have some kind of blinding epiphany and become
      'someone else'.

      But as nice as it would be to turn this list into a
      discussion about my anxieties I feel there must be a
      more appropriate place to discuss these sorts of
      issues, hopefully with the kind of well-read and
      thoughtful Christians that post here. Can anyone
      recommend such a list?

      Steve Law

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com