Rationality and Imagination

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2002
      In a message dated 9/9/2002 2:26:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      purpleom@... writes:

      > It is strange how beliefs that aren't 'rational' and
      > don't belong to the world of common sense somehow have
      > their own practicality and usefulness. It's hard to
      > understand on what level they work.

      Well, sometimes they work because they present you with physical evidence
      which, while not strictly "rational," can't be explained away, either.

      I've had various incidents in my life which make *no* sense on a strictly
      logical level -- coincidence to the 1000th power -- but they *happened* to
      me, so I have to concede that rationality isn't the only force in the world.
      It's like that story Lewis tells -- can't remember if it's in "Mere
      Christianity" or "On Prayer" -- about having a nagging feeling that he should
      go talk to someone who, as it turned out, needed to speak to him at that very
      moment. I think things like that happen to everybody; some of us call it
      "coincidence" and some of us call it something else, depending on worldview.

      Susan