Rhys-Davies et al.

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 9, 1999
      Here is a good page for John Rhys-Davies, (Gimli) who is nearly my age:

      <A HREF="http://washington.xtn.net/~lucast/sliders/davies.html">John
      Rhys-Davies</A>

      As for Orlando Bloom (said to be signed for Legolas)

      his only listed credit is as a "Rentboy" in the 1997 film WILDE. Perhaps he
      has been a stage actor mostly?

      Some of the material from the Rhys-D. page follows; and there is a picture
      there. He looks like he would make a good Gimli:

      <<Acclaimed Welsh-born actor John Rhys-Davies is probably best known to film
      audiences for his roles in the blockbuster hits "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and
      "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade." He has also had leading roles in
      "Victor, Victoria," "The Living Daylights," and "King Solomon's Mine."

      <<Rhys-Davies, who was raised in England, Africa and Wales, credits his early
      exposure to classic literature for his decision to pursue acting and writing.
      he later refined his craft at London's renowned Royal Academy of Dramatic
      Arts.

      His television credits include James Clavell's "Shogun" and "Noble House,"
      "Great Expectations," "War and Remembrance" and "Archaeology."

      <<An avid collector of vintage automobiles, Rhys-Davies has a host of theater
      roles to his credit, including "the Misanthrope," "Hedda Gabler" and most of
      Shakespeare's works. He divides his time between Los Angeles and the Isle of
      Man.>>

      There is a great deal of casting info. out there; see
      http://www.theonering.com/html/casting.htm or
      http://www.ringbearer.org/tolkiencast.html

      or
      Mary S
    • THEODORE SHERMAN
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 9, 1999
        Rhys-Davies is a wonderful actor; but I wish they had signed him on for Boromir
        rather than Gimli.

        Ted

        Stolzi@... wrote:

        > From: Stolzi@...
        >
        > Here is a good page for John Rhys-Davies, (Gimli) who is nearly my age:
        >
        > <A HREF="http://washington.xtn.net/~lucast/sliders/davies.html">John
        > Rhys-Davies</A>
        >
        > As for Orlando Bloom (said to be signed for Legolas)
        >
        > his only listed credit is as a "Rentboy" in the 1997 film WILDE. Perhaps he
        > has been a stage actor mostly?
        >
        > Some of the material from the Rhys-D. page follows; and there is a picture
        > there. He looks like he would make a good Gimli:
        >
        > <<Acclaimed Welsh-born actor John Rhys-Davies is probably best known to film
        > audiences for his roles in the blockbuster hits "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and
        > "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade." He has also had leading roles in
        > "Victor, Victoria," "The Living Daylights," and "King Solomon's Mine."
        >
        > <<Rhys-Davies, who was raised in England, Africa and Wales, credits his early
        > exposure to classic literature for his decision to pursue acting and writing.
        > he later refined his craft at London's renowned Royal Academy of Dramatic
        > Arts.
        >
        > His television credits include James Clavell's "Shogun" and "Noble House,"
        > "Great Expectations," "War and Remembrance" and "Archaeology."
        >
        > <<An avid collector of vintage automobiles, Rhys-Davies has a host of theater
        > roles to his credit, including "the Misanthrope," "Hedda Gabler" and most of
        > Shakespeare's works. He divides his time between Los Angeles and the Isle of
        > Man.>>
        >
        > There is a great deal of casting info. out there; see
        > http://www.theonering.com/html/casting.htm or
        > http://www.ringbearer.org/tolkiencast.html
        >
        > or
        > Mary S

        > How would you like to have a voice in the marketplace and be
        > rewarded for it? SurveySpot members earn cash and prizes for
        > taking part in market research studies!

        Prof. Theodore James Sherman
        6545 Dynasty Drive
        Murfreesboro, TN 37128
      • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 9, 1999
          tedsherman@... writes:

          > Rhys-Davies is a wonderful actor; but I wish they had signed him on for
          > Boromir
          > rather than Gimli.

          Ted, if R-D was born in 1944, he's a lot older than Boromir would be...
          though casting decisions seem very flexible wrt age.

          Mary S
        • THEODORE SHERMAN
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 9, 1999
            Umm, well you're right, Mary, but I don't think that really applies, does it.
            After all, they've signed on Elijah Wood, who can't be older than 22, to play
            Frodo, who, as we all know, is much older than 22.

            Rhys-Davies is an actor with a commanding presence and beautiful booming
            voice (which would also have been wonderful for a Treebeard voiceover). I
            just don't see how they're going to shrink him down well enough to fit the
            bill for Gimli. I still think he'd be a much better Boromir--or perhaps even
            Aragorn.

            Ted

          • d.bratman@xxxxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 9, 1999
              Mary S wrote:

              >Ted, if R-D was born in 1944, he's a lot older than Boromir would be...
              >though casting decisions seem very flexible wrt age.

              Boromir was 40, though he should perhaps look a little younger, because
              of that touch of Numenorean blood.

              Frodo was, as Ted observes, older than 22. He was 50, but he should
              probably be thought of, in human terms, as being about 35. I find it
              useful, rather in the manner of calculating Dog Years, to understand
              hobbit psychology a bit better by the trick of mentally multiplying their
              ages by .7 or .75. The average hobbit lifespan of 100 becomes 70-75,
              Frodo becomes in his late 30s, the unusually high "coming of age" of 33
              becomes a more understandable 23, and the 29-year-old Pippin becomes a
              kid of 20.

              By the way, the best web site for checking out movie and tv credits
              is www.imdb.com. I visit it almost every time I've just seen a film,
              to find out if and where I've seen its actors before. Sometimes the
              answers surprise me.

              David Bratman
            • Daffyd ap Morgen
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 10, 1999
                At 02:41 AM 9/10/1999 GMT, you wrote:

                >By the way, the best web site for checking out movie and tv credits
                >is www.imdb.com. I visit it almost every time I've just seen a film,
                >to find out if and where I've seen its actors before. Sometimes the
                >answers surprise me.

                Greetings;

                Daffyd ap Morgen here; just joined the list.

                Another good web site is Ain't It Cool News
                http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/

                The person running the site is a friend of Peter Jackson. PJ will
                occsionally answer fan questions at this site and confirm or dispell rumors
                about the LotR movie.

                Daffyd ap Morgen
              • Diane Baker
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 10, 1999
                  Daffyd ap Morgen wrote:

                  > From: Daffyd ap Morgen <daffyd@...>
                  >
                  > At 02:41 AM 9/10/1999 GMT, you wrote:
                  >
                  > >By the way, the best web site for checking out movie and tv credits
                  > >is www.imdb.com. I visit it almost every time I've just seen a film,
                  > >to find out if and where I've seen its actors before. Sometimes the
                  > >answers surprise me.
                  >
                  > Greetings;
                  >
                  > Daffyd ap Morgen here; just joined the list.
                  >

                  > Daffyd ap Morgen

                  Welcome to the list! ---djb.
                • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 18, 1999
                    Almost forgot to post this, and it's late now, but they're repeating for
                    Pacific, I think: If you get Sci-Fi channel, there's a couple of movies on
                    tonight with Rhys-Davies, who's slated to be Gimli.

                    Mary S