Lewis/Tolkien, and, It's All in Plato!

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2002
      From a "Conversation" reprinted at National Review Online today

      A conversation with a teacher.
      Q&A by Kathryn Jean Lopez with Rev. James V. Schall S.J.

      Lopez: What is the most educational book ever written?

      Schall: No other book can match The Republic of Plato, or, a pari, all of the
      works of Plato. The best modern teacher is Josef Pieper, though C.S. Lewis,
      by comparison, is a close second. What about Aristotle and Aquinas? What
      about Augustine? Aquinas was very deliberate at making things clear so that
      beginners could quickly and easily get to the highest things. Peter Kreeft is
      very good in representing Aquinas, and Lewis, and Pascal, and Job. One cannot
      oppose Plato, Aristotle, Augustine, and Aquinas to each other. The latter
      always presuppose the former and add something. I have just finished
      rereading the Tolkien trilogy. Everything is there too in its own way.
      Strauss and Voegelin loom in the horizon of our time.