Re: [mythsoc] Query

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 9, 2002
      Last I checked we are open to all people who want to discuss fantasy. We
      are not limited to MythSoc Members. Note - Spammers need not apply,
      hint, hint.

      Joan can boot them off if they are impolite.

      Mythically yours,
      Lisa

      SusanPal@... wrote:

      >I've mentioned this list in my Tolkien class, and today one of my students
      >asked if she could join. I couldn't think of any reason she wouldn't be able
      >to -- I told her it was a fairly scholarly, Inklings-based discussion list --
      >but don't want to give out list info until I've double-checked that.
      >
      >What saith the list?

    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 9, 2002
        SusanPal@... wrote:

        > I've mentioned this list in my Tolkien class, and today one of my students
        > asked if she could join. I couldn't think of any reason she wouldn't be able
        > to -- I told her it was a fairly scholarly, Inklings-based discussion list --
        > but don't want to give out list info until I've double-checked that.
        >
        > What saith the list?

        As Lisa said, this list is open to anyone who wishes to discuss fantasy
        (especially, but not limited to, the works of Tolkien, Lewis, and
        Williams)--or just read the list discussions. One does not have to be a
        member of the Mythopoeic Society to join the list. And one can read the
        messages on the web without joining the list.

        So feel free to give list subscription instructions to anyone you feel
        might be interested!

        Joan
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 9, 2002
          Susan -

          It's an open list, as others have observed, so you can pass along list
          subscription info to anyone you'd like. But, so they will get the most out
          of it and we will get the most out of them, I'd advise pushing it
          specifically towards those students you think will make the best
          contributions; perhaps you could also show them some of your own posts
          (which you need no one else's permission to do) to give them an idea of
          what kind of list this is, as Tolkien and fantasy lists vary in tone and
          approach a lot.

          - David Bratman
        • SusanPal@aol.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 10, 2002
            In a message dated 9/9/2002 11:29:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
            dbratman@... writes:

            > I'd advise pushing it
            > specifically towards those students you think will make the best
            > contributions; perhaps you could also show them some of your own posts
            > (which you need no one else's permission to do) to give them an idea of
            > what kind of list this is, as Tolkien and fantasy lists vary in tone and
            > approach a lot.

            I'm not giving the info to the entire class; one student asked because I'd
            mentioned the criticism discussion (among others) and she thought that
            sounded interesting. And I emphasized that it was an academic/scholarly
            rather than fannish list, and that it was devoted to all the Inklings, not
            just JRRT.

            And in my experience, when people land on lists that aren't suited to them,
            they tend to vanish quickly anyway!

            Thanks,
            Susan

          • SusanPal@aol.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 11, 2004
              Hello, all! I'm delurking for a moment to ask a question.

              Next summer I'll be teaching an online seminar about THE LORD OF THE RINGS
              for gifted-and-talented kids. I've taught writing seminars for this same
              outfit twice now, and the ages range from seven to eighteen. They're all
              enormously precocious intellectually, but the emotional-maturity level varies
              hugely, as you'd expect.

              Right now I'm trying to figure out how to structure this seminar and what
              approach to take. These courses are normally five days, but I think I'll
              recommend that this one be six, so we can discuss one Book of LotR a day; that's a
              neat division. The larger issue is how to approach the material
              thematically. I'll probably write a mini-lecture for each day, pointing out highlights
              in that day's material, informing them of any JRRT biographical issues that
              seem pertinent, and asking a range of discussion questions, so the students
              can talk about the aspect of the reading that appeals to them most. (These
              seminars are very free-form and ungraded, which makes things much easier on the
              instructor). As a middle-aged woman, I'm most interested in issues of
              mortality and grief in LotR, but I don't expect those topics to resonate for these
              students! They're probably going to be most excited about the
              world-and-language-building aspects of Tolkien's work; that's what tends to fascinate my
              college students, and it's certainly what hooked me, at that age. But I want
              to stay out of "elves are cool and here's my fanfic" territory, and I'm not
              qualified to talk about heavy-duty linguistic matters.

              Has anyone here taught LotR to a similar population? Do you have any ideas
              about topics or approaches that are particularly successful with this kind of
              student?

              Thanks,
              Susan

              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 12, 2004
                I hope that Mike Foster, Tolkien instructor par excellence, has time to
                respond to this.

                My inclination would be to try to lean away from the running-commentary
                model, towards the idea of highlighting for each session a major theme of
                LOTR that's particularly appropriate for that day's Book. Perhaps the
                morality of war for Book 3, the nature of evil for Book 4, death and the
                desire for deathlessness in Book 5, eucatastrophe for Book 6.

                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 12, 2004
                  In a message dated 12/12/2004 10:19:19 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                  dbratman@... writes:

                  "My inclination would be to try to lean away from the running-commentary
                  model, towards the idea of highlighting for each session a major theme of
                  LOTR that's particularly appropriate for that day's Book. Perhaps the
                  morality of war for Book 3, the nature of evil for Book 4, death and the
                  desire for deathlessness in Book 5, eucatastrophe for Book 6."

                  Thanks, David! That's a good idea, and one I'd been leaning towards
                  (without quite having gotten it formulated that elegantly yet). In practice, of
                  course, the kids will happily talk about whatever they want to talk about
                  anyway. That's both the beauty and the annoyance of this course structure!

                  Susan

                • Croft, Janet B.
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 13, 2004
                    Good ideas, David. And how about world and character building for book
                    1 (craft of writing -- picaresque nature of incidents actually reveal a
                    lot about characters, etc.) and leadership, responsibility, and
                    self-sacrifice for book 2?

                    Janet Brennan Croft

                    I hope that Mike Foster, Tolkien instructor par excellence, has time to
                    respond to this.

                    My inclination would be to try to lean away from the running-commentary
                    model, towards the idea of highlighting for each session a major theme
                    of LOTR that's particularly appropriate for that day's Book. Perhaps
                    the morality of war for Book 3, the nature of evil for Book 4, death and
                    the desire for deathlessness in Book 5, eucatastrophe for Book 6.

                    At 05:14 PM 12/11/2004 -0500, Susan wrote:

                    >Next summer I'll be teaching an online seminar about THE LORD OF THE
                    >RINGS for gifted-and-talented kids. I've taught writing seminars for
                    >this same outfit twice now, and the ages range from seven to eighteen.

                    >They're all enormously precocious intellectually, but the
                    >emotional-maturity level
                    varies
                    >hugely, as you'd expect.
                    >
                    >Right now I'm trying to figure out how to structure this seminar and
                    >what approach to take. These courses are normally five days, but I
                    >think I'll recommend that this one be six, so we can discuss one Book
                    >of LotR a day;

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • SusanPal@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 13, 2004
                      In a message dated 12/13/2004 7:32:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                      jbcroft@... writes:

                      "Good ideas, David. And how about world and character building for book
                      1 (craft of writing -- picaresque nature of incidents actually reveal a
                      lot about characters, etc.) and leadership, responsibility, and
                      self-sacrifice for book 2?"

                      Very helpful; thanks, Janet!

                      Susan

                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 13, 2004
                        At 09:20 AM 12/13/2004 -0600, Janet Brennan Croft wrote:

                        >Good ideas, David. And how about world and character building for book
                        >1 (craft of writing -- picaresque nature of incidents actually reveal a
                        >lot about characters, etc.) and leadership, responsibility, and
                        >self-sacrifice for book 2?

                        I was going to suggest Faerie for Book 2, which is the book with all the
                        Elven lands in it. "Leadership, responsibility, and self-sacrifice" are
                        really part of any meaningful discussion of the morality of war and facing
                        death, which I suggested as the themes for Books 3 and 5. And also can be
                        considered part of eucatastrophe (Book 6). I tend to think the leadership
                        functions, though certainly present in Book 2, are (despite Gandalf's
                        sacrifice) not as pervasive a theme as they are later on.

                        David Bratman
                      • Mike Foster
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 13, 2004
                          Thanks, Janet & David,
                          I am currently up to my earlobes in final exams, with Fantasy Lit.
                          tomorrow the last in the dance queue. So as Bokonon says: 'Busy busy busy'.

                          I have passed this query along to a former student, now a smial member
                          and one of the horde eight that came up to Milwaukee from Far
                          Westfarthingshire, who's taught Tolkien at the grade 7 level for some
                          years. This seemed apt to the original query. So perhaps Lori Alwood
                          will be able to help.

                          Houghton-Mifflin has useful study guides for grade/jr. high/high school
                          teachers approaching Tolkien that are a good starting point; available
                          for the asking.

                          Wise idea: enlist the help of your school librarian. I did. But then I
                          was already married to her.

                          Mike

                        • SusanPal@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 13, 2004
                            Mike and others,

                            Thank you for your help and ideas. Please feel free to e-mail me privately
                            if it seems more appropriate not to clutter the list with this.

                            Best wishes,
                            Susan Palwick

                          • Beth Russell
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 14, 2004
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 14, 2004
                                Beth,
                                Keep it loose. Be ready to wait for answers to your questions. Good
                                idea to get stories of when/how each first encountered Tolkien. Amble,
                                rather than march, through the books. Suggest members pick a
                                favorite/interesting character to focus on as books proceed.

                                I've a few other ideas, but enjoy it, above all.

                                Mike

                                Beth Russell wrote:

> [...]

                              • Beth Russell
                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 14, 2004
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 14, 2004
                                    If you want to give them a real challenge, employ some of Jan Noble
                                    Long's brainbell jangler quizzes. As I observed in Milwaukee, they'd
                                    have Christopher scratching his head.

                                    Mike

                                    Beth Russell wrote:

> [...]

                                  • Mike Foster
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 14, 2004
                                      One advantage you will have, Beth: they will all be there because they
                                      already like the story and want to talk and learn more about it.

                                      But hey, I have a final in Fantasy Lit at 6 so must go.

                                      I must say I've succumbed to temptation to cite Jackson here in last
                                      days of term by writing on the occasional way-too-little way-too-late
                                      paper: "Recall Gandalf's words to Balrog in Moria"

                                      Later,
                                      Mike

                                      Beth Russell wrote:

> [...]

                                    • Joe Christopher
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 20, 2009
                                        I've got a question about Gene Wolfe's _An Evil Guest_; it was one of the
                                        nominees for a Mythopoeic Award last time, so I assume a number of Society
                                        members have read it. Early in the book, the female protagonist is taken to
                                        a living mountain in Canada. (The mountain's wife lives in one of the
                                        mountain's caves.) My question is about the source of that mountain--Wolfe
                                        is referring to other literary works in that novel, particularly Lovecraft's
                                        Mythos. Is that mountain from something by Lovecraft? Is it from some
                                        other writer? I suppose it might also be from Native American myths in
                                        Canada. (I read a paper on the novel at the South Central Modern Language
                                        Association this fall without knowing the source of the mountain, so it's
                                        not direly important; but one of these years I want to revise and expand
                                        that paper--and it would be nice to know for the revision.)

                                        I'd appreciate any information.
                                        --Joe

                                        P.S. Thank you, Edith, for the kind words about my book. Anthony Boucher
                                        was important to me from the time, in junior high school, I read "The
                                        Compleat Werewolf." I was happy to put together a book of his radio
                                        scripts.
                                      • Lisa Padol
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 21, 2009
                                          > I've got a question about Gene
                                          > Wolfe's _An Evil Guest_; it was one of the
                                          > nominees for a Mythopoeic Award last time, so I assume a
                                          > number of Society
                                          > members have read it.  Early in the book, the female
                                          > protagonist is taken to
                                          > a living mountain in Canada.  (The mountain's wife
                                          > lives in one of the
                                          > mountain's caves.)  My question is about the source of
                                          > that mountain--Wolfe
                                          > is referring to other literary works in that novel,
                                          > particularly Lovecraft's
                                          > Mythos.  Is that mountain from something by
                                          > Lovecraft?  Is it from some
                                          > other writer?  I suppose it might also be from Native
                                          > American myths in
                                          > Canada.  (I read a paper on the novel at the South
                                          > Central Modern Language
                                          > Association this fall without knowing the source of the
                                          > mountain, so it's
                                          > not direly important; but one of these years I want to
                                          > revise and expand
                                          > that paper--and it would be nice to know for the
                                          > revision.)

                                          I have been told it is a reference to Cory Doctorow's novel _Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town_.

                                          -Lisa
                                        • CHRISTOPHER, DR. JOE R.
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 20, 2014
                                            I'm looking for a reference about Tolkien's note on Joyce's _Finnegans Wake_. Scull and Hammond mention it in a general way in _The JRRT Companion and Guide_ 2.817, but I think I have seen a reference to the note that indicates Tolkien was interested in Joyce's playing with language or his puns or something of that sort. Can anyone give me the reference? Thanks. P.S. Tom Shippey, in _JRRT: Author of the Century_, uses _FW_ in comparisons, but that is not the point at issue. --Joe
                                          • Andrew Higgins
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jun 20, 2014
                                              Dr Christopher

                                              As Dimitra Fimi indicates in her book Tolkien, Race and Cultural History - From Fairies to Hobbits (Palgrave 2010) there exists in the manuscripts of Tolkien's Secret Vice papers held at the Bodleian Library, Oxford two pages of notes on Joyce's Finnegan's Wake (MS Tolkien 24 fols 44-45) Fimi, 2010, p. 210. I also believe in one of the Parma Eldalamberon's there is a page that includes part of Anna Livia Plurabelle - will look when I get home.

                                              Hope that helps
                                              Andy

                                              From the IPAD of:
                                              Andrew Higgins
                                              Director of Development
                                              Glyndebourne (andrew.higgins@...)

                                              IPhone 07447644884

                                              Lif is læne: eal scæceð leoht and lif somod [life is fleeting: everything hastens away, light and life together]” (Beowulf trans by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1936).

                                              On 20 Jun 2014, at 18:06, "'CHRISTOPHER, DR. JOE R.' jchristopher@... [mythsoc]" <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                              I'm looking for a reference about Tolkien's note on Joyce's _Finnegans Wake_. Scull and Hammond mention it in a general way in _The JRRT Companion and Guide_ 2.817, but I think I have seen a reference to the note that indicates Tolkien was interested in Joyce's playing with language or his puns or something of that sort. Can anyone give me the reference? Thanks. P.S. Tom Shippey, in _JRRT: Author of the Century_, uses _FW_ in comparisons, but that is not the point at issue. --Joe

                                            • Jeremy Edmonds