Fraud alert: Please help inform Tolkien fans

  • michael_martinez2
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2002
      Today I was advised that PARMA ENDORION: ESSAYS ON MIDDLE-EARTH, 3RD
      EDITION, has been put up for auction at eBay.com. As I announced in
      January, this special edition of PARMA ENDORION was published as an
      eBook in Adobe PDF format and has been made available for free
      download at http://www.free-ebooks.net/fan_fiction.html for anyone
      who wants a copy.

      Here is an example of a concluded sale of the eBook:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1547969470

      I am told that these listings only stay available for up to 30 days.
      Since I have asked that the most current auction be removed, I think
      this link may last longer than the current auction. Several auctions
      have already been removed under the seller's feedback list, perhaps
      for reported abuse. There were a few other concluded PARMA ENDORION
      auctions in the list.

      Since PARMA ENDORION was published in January, more than 80,000
      downloads have been recorded by free-ebooks.net. I was advised
      earlier this summer that the eBook has also been distributed (without
      authorization) on the Kazaa network. Since Kazaa is a peer-to-peer
      distribution service, and since it was apparent to me no one was
      altering the work or trying to make money, I let the Kazaa situation
      pass without challenge.

      I just think these auctions are so unfair to the people buying the
      books. Of course, they are unfair to me and the artists, Rich
      Sullivan and Anke Eismann, because we are not being compensated for
      our work. But no one should have to pay for PARMA ENDORION. That was
      not what we intended.

      Please help spread the word to your fellow Tolkien fans. I will do
      what I can to inform the public through other venues, as well as
      through Xenite.org's network. But there are a lot of people out
      there. And it may not be too late for the buyers to report the fraud
      to PayPal (the service the auctioneer used) or eBay. Perhaps they can
      get refunds.

      Your help in getting the word out will be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks in advance.

      Michael