Re: [mythsoc] Re: Findrod and Andreth

  • William
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2002
      Try Lewis' "Mere Christianity" or G.K.Chesterton's "Orthodoxy". Both men do
      a wonderful job weaving the importance of imagination and wonder as an
      essential part of religious faith. Lewis was first drawn to matters of faith
      by a feeling he called "sehnsucht" a deep hunger for the awesome and
      numinous. He found this hunger first fed by the myths of the Vikings and
      poetry focusing on nature's wonder and power.

      I have not read much on Tolkien's theology, (Lewis is more my focus) but one
      book "Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World" by Verlyn
      Flieger was very good.

      "C.S. Lewis: A Companion and Guide" by W. Hooper is a good place to start,
      then anything by Kathryn Lindskoog (who was once told by Lewis that she was
      one of the best explicators of his ideas).

      Regards,

      William
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 13, 2002
        William wrote:

        >Try Lewis' "Mere Christianity" or >G.K.Chesterton's
        "Orthodoxy".

        I've got them both. I must admit to faltering a bit
        with "Mere Christianity", and I haven't finished it
        yet. But I was bowled over by "Orthodoxy" and I'm
        working on my own chapter-by-chapter 'summary' of it
        so I can get a clear grasp of GK's ideas.

        >I have not read much on Tolkien's theology, (Lewis is
        > more my focus) but one book "Splintered Light: Logos
        > and Language in Tolkien's World" by Verlyn Flieger
        > was very good.

        I've found it's hard to get hold of - most of the
        online book services don't have it in stock, but claim
        they can get it given time. But I've never ordered it
        that way as I keep thinking I'll find it elsewhere.
        Sounds like an extremely interesting read. I've read
        Fliegers "A Question of Time".

        >"C.S. Lewis: A Companion and Guide" by W. Hooper is a
        good place to start, then anything by Kathryn
        > Lindskoog (who was once told by Lewis that she
        >was one of the best explicators of his ideas).

        Thanks, I'll look them up.

        Steve Law

        http://uk.my.yahoo.com
      • Carl F. Hostetter
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 13, 2002
          On Friday, September 13, 2002, at 07:21 AM, Steve Law wrote:

          >> I have not read much on Tolkien's theology, (Lewis is
          >> more my focus) but one book "Splintered Light: Logos
          >> and Language in Tolkien's World" by Verlyn Flieger
          >> was very good.
          >
          > I've found it's hard to get hold of - most of the
          > online book services don't have it in stock, but claim
          > they can get it given time.

          You'll be pleased to hear that _Splintered Light_ will very shortly be
          back in print, in a revised edition.