Re: Findrod and Andreth

  • Steve Law
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2002

      William wrote:
      >And that idea is a major point in the theology of
      >both Lewis and Tolkien.

      No! I thought of it, it was me!!

      Oh alright then. I've soaked it up somewhere then
      regurgitated it.
      Could you recommend a book that best explicates this
      theology? I've read the obvious Tolkien biographies
      and works (Carpenter, Shippey etc).

      Thanks,

      Steve Law

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com
    • William
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 9, 2002
        Try Lewis' "Mere Christianity" or G.K.Chesterton's "Orthodoxy". Both men do
        a wonderful job weaving the importance of imagination and wonder as an
        essential part of religious faith. Lewis was first drawn to matters of faith
        by a feeling he called "sehnsucht" a deep hunger for the awesome and
        numinous. He found this hunger first fed by the myths of the Vikings and
        poetry focusing on nature's wonder and power.

        I have not read much on Tolkien's theology, (Lewis is more my focus) but one
        book "Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World" by Verlyn
        Flieger was very good.

        "C.S. Lewis: A Companion and Guide" by W. Hooper is a good place to start,
        then anything by Kathryn Lindskoog (who was once told by Lewis that she was
        one of the best explicators of his ideas).

        Regards,

        William
        > >>wasn't a failure of my comprehension >but of my
        > >>imagination.
        >
        > William wrote:
        > >And that idea is a major point in the theology of
        > >both Lewis and Tolkien.
        >
        > No! I thought of it, it was me!!
        >
        > Oh alright then. I've soaked it up somewhere then
        > regurgitated it.
        > Could you recommend a book that best explicates this
        > theology? I've read the obvious Tolkien biographies
        > and works (Carpenter, Shippey etc).
        >
        > Thanks,
        >

        > Steve Law

        > http://uk.my.yahoo.com
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        >

        > I'm a Woman Man seeking a Man Woman
        > Enter city or ZIP
        > Age: to
        > Show only ads with photos

      • Steve Law
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 13, 2002
          William wrote:

          >Try Lewis' "Mere Christianity" or >G.K.Chesterton's
          "Orthodoxy".

          I've got them both. I must admit to faltering a bit
          with "Mere Christianity", and I haven't finished it
          yet. But I was bowled over by "Orthodoxy" and I'm
          working on my own chapter-by-chapter 'summary' of it
          so I can get a clear grasp of GK's ideas.

          >I have not read much on Tolkien's theology, (Lewis is
          > more my focus) but one book "Splintered Light: Logos
          > and Language in Tolkien's World" by Verlyn Flieger
          > was very good.

          I've found it's hard to get hold of - most of the
          online book services don't have it in stock, but claim
          they can get it given time. But I've never ordered it
          that way as I keep thinking I'll find it elsewhere.
          Sounds like an extremely interesting read. I've read
          Fliegers "A Question of Time".

          >"C.S. Lewis: A Companion and Guide" by W. Hooper is a
          good place to start, then anything by Kathryn
          > Lindskoog (who was once told by Lewis that she
          >was one of the best explicators of his ideas).

          Thanks, I'll look them up.

          Steve Law

          http://uk.my.yahoo.com
        • Carl F. Hostetter
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 13, 2002
            On Friday, September 13, 2002, at 07:21 AM, Steve Law wrote:

            >> I have not read much on Tolkien's theology, (Lewis is
            >> more my focus) but one book "Splintered Light: Logos
            >> and Language in Tolkien's World" by Verlyn Flieger
            >> was very good.
            >
            > I've found it's hard to get hold of - most of the
            > online book services don't have it in stock, but claim
            > they can get it given time.

            You'll be pleased to hear that _Splintered Light_ will very shortly be
            back in print, in a revised edition.