Re: Authorial intent and 'theory'

  • michael_martinez2
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7, 2002
      --- In mythsoc@y..., Nagy Gergely <lamorak@m...> wrote:
      > ...I'm sure you heard all these theoretical argument over
      > and over countless times, but I feel your comment institutes an
      > illusory gap between 'critics' (who are only concerned with
      > their 'lengthy arguments' and are not interested in
      > Tolkien's 'intentions') and other readers (who genuinely go
      > after 'what Tolkien meant'). That is, I think, a mistaken
      > stance, because it suggests that what critics do to texts is
      > really not relevant and is more a showing off of themselves than
      > interpreting Tolkien.

      There is the story itself, and then there is what we make of the
      story. The two are separate and distinct things.

      To be more precise than I have been would require an immense amount
      of discussion for which I have no time. My absences from this list
      and other discussion fora are due to an increasingly complex project
      at work.

      And for those of you holding your breaths, I have been in touch with
      Douglas Anderson. One of his emails got through. It looks like,
      when we moved Xenite.Org to a new server earlier this year, we were
      assigned an IP address which had been abused by spammers. Most ISPs
      are honoring our connection, but not all.