Re: [mythsoc] Re: Theory and the hermeneutic circle

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 3, 2002
      In a message dated 9/3/2002 7:32:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      aslan122@... writes:

      > I hope this isn't too long. I will subdivide it. First of all--
      > Susan, you're teaching a Tolkien course? I'm so jealous! No, I don't
      > know your friend. Is she in the English program? I do know Bruce
      > Edwards, who some of you may know.

      Yep, I am, and it's a lot of fun! And yes, Inez is in the English PhD
      program, but her emphasis is Comp/Rhet, so she's teaching mostly freshman
      comp, I guess. She's a big Tolkien fan, though, and might be a fun person
      for you to talk to.

      > Many people think that one's faith ought to color everything one
      > does. But then, many of those same people would often criticize
      > people who allow Feminism, Marxism or their sexual orientation to
      > color everything they do. I cannot decide where I ought to stand. It
      > is something that I need to work out before I start really writing,
      > however-- and I'm behind because I'm presenting my first paper in a
      > month! So any advice one way or another would be helpful (how's that
      > for an invitation?)
      >
      > I guess my question is, how ought one to deal with one's own biases?
      > It is hard to balance what one often does not notice. Is it better to
      > stay away from a relativistic reading altogether?

      The way to deal with one's own biases is a) to announce them up-front and be
      as aware of them as possible, b) to remain exquisitely aware of the fact that
      other kinds of readings are both possible and, on occasion, necessary, and c)
      to try to be scrupulously careful about whether one's biases are, on this
      occasion, appropriate (it's safe to read Tolkien and O'Conner through a
      Christian lens; other writers are less conducive to this approach).

      Our identities color our lives, which is all well and good, and as it should
      be. The trick is to remain sensitive and welcoming to *other* identities.
      (And I'm speaking here as a Christian feminist, an identity some folks would
      consider oxymoronic: but hey, we're all vast and contain multitudes.)

      Good luck with your paper!

      Susan

    • michael_martinez2
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 7, 2002
        --- In mythsoc@y..., SusanPal@a... wrote:
        > Janet --
        >
        > That Auden piece is great. I'm going to give it to the students in
        > my Tolkien course, some of whom have been engaging in one-sided
        > critic-bashing!
        >
        > Susan

        And you'll be sure to mention Tolkien's connection to Auden,
        right? :)

        I was a bit worried there when I read the list. It could be said
        that I try to do all the things in Auden's list, and as a long-time
        critic-basher I would have to concede to being a hypocrite if that
        were so.

        But since I've often been accused of monovistic interpretation, I
        suppose I need not have been concerned at all.

        I will now return to my pseudo-Freudian nit-picking in complete
        harmony with my non-critical nature....
      • SusanPal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 7, 2002
          In a message dated 9/7/2002 4:06:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
          michael@... writes:

          > And you'll be sure to mention Tolkien's connection to Auden,
          > right? :)

          Yes, I did. :-)

          Susan