Re: [mythsoc] Re: Carl on theory

  • jamcconney@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2002
      In a message dated 9/3/2002 9:13:09 AM Central Daylight Time,
      jchristopher@... writes:

      > Sturgeon's Law, "Ninety percent of everything is crud."

      Kipling's Law: "Four-fifths of everything must be bad. You have to do it to
      get the other fifth."

      Anne

    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2002
        Well, all I have to say on this matter is that you =all= need to read Prof.
        Frederick Crews' small but magisterial book, THE POOH PERPLEX, if you
        haven't. :D

        And he has done a sort of sequel to cover some of the newer theories; an
        Amazon search ought to bring it up.

        I might also however add, regarding theory, this quote which came through on
        WINGFOLD, the Geo MacDonald list:

        "If I knew of a theory in which was never an uncompleted arch or turret, in
        whose circling wall was never a ragged breach, that theory I should know but
        to avoid: such gaps are the eternal windows through which the dawn shall look

        in. A complete theory is a vault of stone around the theorist --- whose very

        being yet depends on room to grow."

        Mr. Graham the schoolteacher in "Malcolm"
        by George MacDonald

        Diamond Proudbrook