Re: [mythsoc] Theory and the hermeneutic circle P.S.

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002
      In a message dated 9/3/2002 11:15:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      Aelfwine@... writes:

      > But this sort of bias is _not_ the same as bias that deliberately
      > distorts the clear meaning of text in order to advance a
      > psycho-socio-political agenda.

      Well, I don't think most bad theorists DELIBERATELY distort the meaning of
      the texts they study. They do it because they're not very good at using
      their tools. But they aren't evil -- just, in too many cases, insufficiently
      sensitive or intelligent. Remember, people certainly don't go into literary
      criticism for the fame and fortune. They do it because, at some point in
      their lives, they genuinely loved books (even if in all too many cases, the
      academy beats that right out of them).

      So the question is, "Are you a *good* theorist, or a *bad* theorist?"

      Susan

    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002
        On Tuesday, September 3, 2002, at 02:33 PM, SusanPal@... wrote:

        > Well, I don't think most bad theorists DELIBERATELY distort the
        > meaning of
        > the texts they study.

        Agreed. Most distort the texts as an unconscious reflex, due to
        training.
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002
          From: <SusanPal@...>

          > So the question is, "Are you a *good* theorist, or a *bad* theorist?"

          And Dorothy replied, "I'm not a theorist at all!"

          Berni