Re: a question on "cycle" + Carpenter's Biography

  • michael_martinez2
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2002
      --- In mythsoc@y..., "Vincent Ferre" <ferretolk@h...> wrote:

      > Good evening,
      >
      > I'd like to address the issue of "cycle" in Tolkien's work,
      > and I would be very grateful to anyone who would know articles or
      > sections of critics dealing with it. apparently, the word itself
      > does not appear frequently in Tolkien's texts - except in the long
      > letter to M. Waldman. maybe I am wrong ?

      Letter 125 speaks of "the whole saga of the Three Jewels and the
      Rings of Power", but I'm not sure of what you're getting after.
      Critics can pretty much make up their own definitions and string
      lengthy arguments around them without really worrying about what
      Tolkien intended. They are often more concerned with the effect
      achieved than with the goal pursued by a writer, if that makes any
      sense.