Re: [mythsoc] a question on "cycle" + Carpenter's Biography

  • Vincent Ferre
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2002
      Good evening,

      I'd like to address the issue of "cycle" in Tolkien's work, and I
      would be very grateful to anyone who would know articles or sections of
      critics dealing with it. apparently, the word itself does not appear
      frequently in Tolkien's texts - except in the long letter to M. Waldman.
      maybe I am wrong ?

      And by the way, does anyone know is there is a more recent version of
      H. Carpenter's _Biography_ than the one in paperback (2002), isbn 0 00
      713284 0 ?

      Thanks very much for your help,

      Vincent Ferr�

    • michael_martinez2
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 31, 2002
        --- In mythsoc@y..., "Vincent Ferre" <ferretolk@h...> wrote:

        > Good evening,
        >
        > I'd like to address the issue of "cycle" in Tolkien's work,
        > and I would be very grateful to anyone who would know articles or
        > sections of critics dealing with it. apparently, the word itself
        > does not appear frequently in Tolkien's texts - except in the long
        > letter to M. Waldman. maybe I am wrong ?

        Letter 125 speaks of "the whole saga of the Three Jewels and the
        Rings of Power", but I'm not sure of what you're getting after.
        Critics can pretty much make up their own definitions and string
        lengthy arguments around them without really worrying about what
        Tolkien intended. They are often more concerned with the effect
        achieved than with the goal pursued by a writer, if that makes any
        sense.