Tolkien at Kalamazoo

  • Nagy Gergely
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2002
      Dear all,

      like last year, I again put up a Call for Papers here for the
      International Congress on Medieval Studies (this time the 38th) in
      Kalamazoo, Michigan, to be held 8-11 May, 2003. The Congress is now
      hosting a massive Tolkienist section, sponsored by the group 'Tolkien in
      Kalamazo', and is offering five (5!) sessions on Tolkien's medieval
      connections. It is to these sessions that I would like to draw your
      attention to, and solicit your abstracts and papers for. (Please see the
      General Call for Papers for the Congress at cfp )

      The five sessions are under the umbrella title 'Tolkien and the
      Discourses of Medieval Culture', with the general organizership (if
      there is such a word) of Jane Chance (Rice University). The individual
      sessions are entitled as follows (with the name and address of the
      co-organiser responsible for them):

      I. “Philosophy and Theology,” with Co-organizer Brad Eden, University of
      Las Vegas (beden@...)

      II. “Orality,” with Co-organizer Gergely Nagy, Inst. For American
      Studies, University of Szeged, Hungary, lamorak@....u-szeged.hu)

      III. “Manuscript Analogues,” with Co-organizer Sandra Straubhaar,
      Germanics, University of Texas-Austin (orchzis@...)

      IV. “Historiography and Narratology,” with Co-organizer Rebekah Long,
      Duke University (raw9@...)

      V. “The Other World(s),” with Co-organizer Douglas A. Anderson
      (nodens@...) Independent Scholar

      If you are interested in any of these sessions, or (even better) have a
      minde to do a paper and send in an abstract, please do not hesitate to
      contact the co-organiser of the session you are interested in. Please
      note that the deadline for the abstracts is 15 September.

      In the last two years, the Tolkien sessions in Kalamazoo were
      terrifically good, with good papers which drew in a great number of
      congress participants and elicited really high standard discussions (a
      volume of the essays presented in 2001 is to be published in any moment
      by Routledge, under the title _Tolkien the Medievalist_, edited by Jane
      Chance, and we have perspective publishers for this year's volume too;
      we hope it's going to be like this next year too). It was really an
      experience to take part in them, so I urge everyone who might have ideas
      to try and ask (at least). Also, if you know about anyone who might be
      interested but is not on this list, please send this on to him or her.
      Your help is greatly appreciated.

      Looking forward to hearing from you,
      Gergely Nagy
      University of Szeged, Hungary