cataloging film

  • Grace E. Funk
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21, 2002
      I have purchased the August 6, 2 disk DVD of Fellowship of the Ring,
      plus all the highly repetitive added extras, and a DVD player to go with
      it. That disk should come with instructions. I did not recognize its
      "menu" for the first little while. Nor the "highlighting" device which
      looks like a little extra decoration. I bought the widescreen version,
      and my Toshiba player has a zoom, so I can enlarge the picture until the
      black bars top and bottom disappear. Of course by then I have lost some
      the image left and right, so I suppose I am approximating what the
      fullscreen version would be like? Life is always a compromise.
      Now to David Bratman and all other library catalogers out there - should
      this item be filed under Tolkien or under Jackson? I never did learn
      much about film cataloging. And what about the older films, too? I ask
      for my own personal satisfaction, because my own collection is divided
      into items by and items about Tolkien. Somehow this film is both.
      I repeat my query about the book
      "to be released in October:
      J. R. R. Tolkien's Sanctifying Myth
      by Bradley J. Birzer
      ISI Books 1-882926-84-6
      24.95 US hc."
      My local bookseller wants to sell me a copy, but I can't find anything
      about it. Next week my mailing address will change as indicated below.
      CanadaPost is increasing customer inconvenience is the name of what it
      thinks is efficiency. At least I get to keep my rural mailbox, which not
      everyone does. Grace E. Funk

      --
      Grace E. Funk 2102 Hwy 6, Lumby, B.C. V0E 2G1 Phone (250)547-6333
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 21, 2002
        In Anglo-American cataloging practice, the main entry (the first line at
        the top of the catalog card, if there is a printed card) for a film is
        normally the title. Cataloging practice doesn't hold with the auteur
        theory. Items are normally shelved, within their subject classification,
        by main entry, which is why you'll usually find films arranged on library
        shelves by title.

        Added entries - other people whose names you can look things up by - films
        have a lot of. Director, producer (usually), screenwriters, principal
        actors, and yes the author of the original material.

        In your own collection, you can put the film wherever you want. Like most
        libraries, I keep my collection by media; my Tolkien-related CDs are all
        together, but separate from my Tolkien books. I don't have enough DVDs and
        video cassettes to make them worth really organizing (and not enough shelf
        space to organize them on), but I'd probably keep it with my other feature
        films, simply because there's not enough Tolkien film (I do have a
        documentary or two) to make them worth separating. To answer your basic
        question, I consider this a work about, rather than by, Tolkien, the same
        way that an art book is "about".

        The Amazon listing for the Birzer book says nothing about its content, and
        we won't know anything about its quality until the review appears. From
        the title, it appears to be yet another attempt at discussing Tolkien's
        spiritual qualities.

        David Bratman

        At 06:23 AM 8/21/2002 , Grace Funk wrote:
        >I have purchased the August 6, 2 disk DVD of Fellowship of the Ring,
        >plus all the highly repetitive added extras, and a DVD player to go with
        >it. That disk should come with instructions. I did not recognize its
        >"menu" for the first little while. Nor the "highlighting" device which
        >looks like a little extra decoration. I bought the widescreen version,
        >and my Toshiba player has a zoom, so I can enlarge the picture until the
        >black bars top and bottom disappear. Of course by then I have lost some
        >the image left and right, so I suppose I am approximating what the
        >fullscreen version would be like? Life is always a compromise.
        >Now to David Bratman and all other library catalogers out there - should
        >this item be filed under Tolkien or under Jackson? I never did learn
        >much about film cataloging. And what about the older films, too? I ask
        >for my own personal satisfaction, because my own collection is divided
        >into items by and items about Tolkien. Somehow this film is both.
        > I repeat my query about the book
        >"to be released in October:
        >J. R. R. Tolkien's Sanctifying Myth
        >by Bradley J. Birzer
        >ISI Books 1-882926-84-6
        >24.95 US hc."
        >My local bookseller wants to sell me a copy, but I can't find anything
        >about it. Next week my mailing address will change as indicated below.
        >CanadaPost is increasing customer inconvenience is the name of what it
        >thinks is efficiency. At least I get to keep my rural mailbox, which not
        >everyone does. Grace E. Funk
      • Grace E. Funk
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 22, 2002
          Thank you, David. Added entries are great in a catalog, but they do not
          solve the basic problem of the cataloger -AN ITEM CAN GO IN ONLY ONE
          PLACE ON THE SHELF. Thanks for the comparison of the film with an art
          book. Now I can think properly about the relationships of different
          formats. Grace.

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 23, 2002
            At 07:39 PM 8/22/2002 , Grace E. Funk wrote:

            >Thank you, David. Added entries are great in a catalog, but they do not
            >solve the basic problem of the cataloger -AN ITEM CAN GO IN ONLY ONE
            >PLACE ON THE SHELF. Thanks for the comparison of the film with an art
            >book. Now I can think properly about the relationships of different
            >formats.

            I think I addressed the shelf situation also. Customarily (within genres
            or whatever other broader categories are used), public libraries shelve
            fiction by author, and films by title, as implied or dictated by the main
            entry.

            David Bratman