More Dot and Tot endorsement

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2002
      Incidentally, I forwarded this query to several people not on this list, and only Ruth Berman replied, almost with the same description that Lee
      supplied. So you should try _Dot & Tot_.

      I keep thinking that the electric kingdom with Queen Mazda seems familiar, and I've never read _Dot & Tot in Merryland_. Is there any chance that she
      appeared in _The Amazing Land of Wew_ (I don't remember the author) which was an Oz imitation published by the Steck publishing company out of Texas, and
      which I read several times in about 4th grade? I mostly remember a man-robot made out of precious metals and jewels. And the beginning involved a boy
      (and his dog?) getting lost in a cave, and then finding their way after various adventures underground to the land of Wew. The precious metal man was the
      first magical being encountered, I think, and then was his guide through the story. I also vaguely think of _Tal: His Marvelous Adventures with
      Noom-zor-Noom_ (again, don't recall the author, and I may not have that title exactly right), which was a much finer book, I think, full of inset stories,
      and episodic adventures. I'd be interested in any comments anyone might have on either of these books. I really should look up _Tal_ again, as I believe
      I've seen respectful references in children's listerary criticism. And as a 4th and 5th grader, besides the books of Ruth Plumly Thompson and E. Nesbit
      and those mysterious Lord of the Rings books mentioned on the back of the Hobbit dust jacket (all of which were apparently NOT owned by my public library,
      judging from the card catalogue--I never thought to check the adult catalogue, where I would've found the LotR books by Tolkien), the books I wanted most
      to find were the books upon which the _Amazing Land of Wew_ were based upon (the text of the book implied that the book was a sequel to a previous series
      by another author, but which I've never discovered).

      > Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:02:34 EDT
      > From: Stolzi@...
      > Subject: Book query
      >
      > Some time ago this query was posted:

      > > >can't remember author or title, but I remember it had a green cover, by
      > > >golly!. (I'm a librarian and I hate it when I get questions like this).
      > > >The plot goes something like this: a young girl is babysitting her
      > > >annoying younger brother, they fall asleep in a canoe, which drifts into
      > > >a cavern. As the boat drifts along they encounter various worlds: one
      > > >has characters from mythology, one is an electric-powered kingdom ruled
      > > >by a Queen Mazda, I think.
      >
      > i thought this reminded me of something I had read in a book on L. Frank
      > Baum.
      >
      > Lee Speth, Oz maven, suggests this possibility (though he says there is no
      > Queen Mazda in it):
      >
      > Dot and Tot in Merryland (1904) Accidentally swept by their runaway boat into
      > a secret tunnel, Dot and Tot find themselves in a magical kingdom of
      > Merryland--a fairyland made up of seven fantastic valleys, each with its own
      > unique people and magic. From the Valley of the Clowns to the Valley of Candy
      > People to the Valley of Babies and on to the Valley of Toys, Dot and Tot make
      > their way through this fabulous land. Then their adventures take an exciting
      > turn when the Queen of Merryland decides to adopt them and make them a Prince
      > and Princess. This adventure takes place outside of Oz, and you will meet
      > many of these folk later in the Oz series. (This is a near-Oz book)
      > Illustrator - William Wallace Denslow
      >

      > Diamond Proudbrook

      David Lenander,