Book query

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2002
      Some time ago this query was posted:

      > > >I have been looking for years for a book I read as a child. Of course I
      > >can't remember author or title, but I remember it had a green cover, by
      > >golly!. (I'm a librarian and I hate it when I get questions like this).
      > >The plot goes something like this: a young girl is babysitting her
      > >annoying younger brother, they fall asleep in a canoe, which drifts into
      > >a cavern. As the boat drifts along they encounter various worlds: one
      > >has characters from mythology, one is an electric-powered kingdom ruled
      > >by a Queen Mazda, I think.

      i thought this reminded me of something I had read in a book on L. Frank
      Baum.

      Lee Speth, Oz maven, suggests this possibility (though he says there is no
      Queen Mazda in it):

      Dot and Tot in Merryland (1904) Accidentally swept by their runaway boat into
      a secret tunnel, Dot and Tot find themselves in a magical kingdom of
      Merryland--a fairyland made up of seven fantastic valleys, each with its own
      unique people and magic. From the Valley of the Clowns to the Valley of Candy
      People to the Valley of Babies and on to the Valley of Toys, Dot and Tot make
      their way through this fabulous land. Then their adventures take an exciting
      turn when the Queen of Merryland decides to adopt them and make them a Prince
      and Princess. This adventure takes place outside of Oz, and you will meet
      many of these folk later in the Oz series. (This is a near-Oz book)
      Illustrator - William Wallace Denslow

      Diamond Proudbrook