George McDonald

  • Tim Harrison
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 15, 2002
      Hi all,

      I am new here. I have read the essentials of Tolkien and Lewis, and I was
      wondering what people around here think of George McDonald and his fantasy
      writings. I have read Phantastes and Lilith twice, and feel that another few
      readings wouldn't go astray to fully appreciate these stories. I have heard
      that McDonald's work was instrumental in turning Lewis' hand to fantasy
      writing.

      Tim.
    • Madame K
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 15, 2002
        Welcome, Tim! We're glad to have you here.

        I'm definitely a MacDonald fan. Don't miss his fairy tales: The Princess
        and Curdie, The Princess and the Goblin, The Light Princess, and his
        children's novel, At the Back of the North Wind.

        MJ

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 15, 2002
          In a message dated 8/15/2002 10:52:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          compserv@... writes:

          > I have heard
          > that McDonald's work was instrumental in turning Lewis' hand to fantasy
          > writing.

          Read Lewis's memoir _Surprised by Joy_. He talks about MacDonald's influence
          on him both in his writing and in his religion.

        • Tim Harrison
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 15, 2002
            > Welcome, Tim! We're glad to have you here.

            Thank you.

            > I'm definitely a MacDonald fan. Don't miss his fairy tales: The Princess
            > and Curdie, The Princess and the Goblin, The Light Princess, and his
            > children's novel, At the Back of the North Wind.

            I think I may have read the 'Princess' ones. Also the Wise Woman (?) It's
            been a while, and they didn't seem to leave the same impression as Lilith
            and Phantastes.

            Tim.
          • juliet@firinn.org
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 16, 2002
              On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 03:45:08PM +1000, Tim Harrison wrote:
              > > Welcome, Tim! We're glad to have you here.
              >
              > Thank you.
              >
              > > I'm definitely a MacDonald fan. Don't miss his fairy tales: The Princess
              > > and Curdie, The Princess and the Goblin, The Light Princess, and his
              > > children's novel, At the Back of the North Wind.
              >
              > I think I may have read the 'Princess' ones. Also the Wise Woman (?) It's
              > been a while, and they didn't seem to leave the same impression as Lilith
              > and Phantastes.
              >
              > Tim.

              If you like Phantastes and Lilith, you should try The Golden Key, too. It's
              more similar in flavor to the above two than to the Curdie books, in my
              opinion.
            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 16, 2002
                I am simply longing for a MacDonald paper or two at our next summer's
                Mythcon, because of his wonderful Wise Women.

                <A HREF="http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon34.html">Mythcon 34</A>

                Diamond Proudbrook