Re: Large economy size Hobbits?

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 1999
      In a message dated 08/31/1999 8:39:56 AM Central Daylight Time,
      tedsherman@... writes:

      > I think whether one can
      > walk 20 miles depends not as much on one's physical size as on one's
      > physical
      > condition

      It's =length of stride= that concerns me, mostly. But what would I know?
      I'm totally unathletic.

      Mary S
    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31, 1999
        I find on discussions with my friend who =really= knows the story, that
        Pippin and Merry got another chance at ent-draughts while on their way North
        and home after the War of the Ring. When they speak with Bilbo at Rivendell,
        they tell him that they may decide to rival Bullroarer in height, as he is
        rivaling the Old Took in age.

        Before that, at the Field of Cormallen, Sam swears that they have grown
        "three inches" since he last saw them.

        So it would seem that the growth was gradual, perhaps three inches for each
        stay with the Ents, so that when the final 6th inch was entered, Pippin would
        indeed at 4 feet 6 inches overtop Bullroarer's 4 ' 5 ".

        However, I am still worried about the average-sized Hobbit handling a
        =full-sized cart horse= (not riding it, rather driving it as it pulls a sort
        of omnibus-cart full of halflings) in one of Sylvia Hunnewell's pictures for
        the BreeMoot program book.

        Settling the important questions of our day,

        Mary S