LOTR DVDs, players

  • David J Finnamore
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2002
      If you're buying a DVD player, get a good name brand one. Someone got me a cheap
      Mintek brand player as a gift. It's so frustrating to use and watch that
      sometimes I prefer old-fashioned tape. If it weren't for the dramatically better
      sound, I'd almost certainly prefer tape. The color and brightness constantly
      oscillate, staying dark/red for a couple of minutes and going bright/yellow for
      only a few seconds. Many of the scenes in FotR are dark already, and on my
      player they can be almost unviewable. My player also frequently goes blue screen
      for a few seconds between scenes. Argh. I think I'm going to have to go to
      Sam's and get a good one, now that I've got something I really want to see.

      Also, if you're picky about which format you want, buy the DVD in a store. I
      ordered my full screen version online from Suncoast.com in mid July. It didn't
      get to me house until Aug 10th - could've bought it almost anywhere in town at
      the same price and had it four days earlier - and they sent me the widescreen
      version instead. Doh!

      'Nuff griping. The extras on the second disk were quite enjoyable, esp. the
      trailer for Two Towers. I don't think I'll be too sorry about having to buy both
      the August and November editions. I found out about the November one only by
      watching the August one. :-/ If I'd known ahead of time, I'd have waited; as it
      is, I'm glad I didn't.

      As someone (David B?) mentioned, Jackson's comments reveal an interpretation that
      is a bit disconcerting. He definitely sees the story through thoroughly
      post-modern (thus, un-Tolkien-like) eyes. But seeing the footage and hearing the
      comments of the actors gave me confidence that Two Towers will be even better
      than FotR.

      --
      David J. Finnamore
      Nashville, TN, USA